Upgrading to mash tun from BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harlemhomebrew

Reaction score
I've been brewing BiAB for about six months now. I'd really like to learn how to brew all grain the "proper" way but I don't know where to start.

Exactly how much more equipment do I need? Just the igloo cooler or do I need one of the large kettles with a thermometer and a spigot?

What do I need to know about the mashing process that I don't already know from BIAB? Is it a significant upgrade in terms of precision or just a different way of doing things?

What makes BIAB "improper"?

I'm not much good answering your questions, given that I only brew extract and BIAB... but I'm curious why you seem to think BIAB is somehow inferior. Honest question.

The biggest difference between the two is the ability to vorlauf or recirculate the mash with a mash tun. It settles the grain bed and helps clarify the wort going into the boil kettle. In my case, the mash tun itself is really the only equipment difference, other than some high temp plastic tubing to get the wort into the boil kettle. Mashing method shouldn't affect boil kettle choice. I do both biab and igloo tun, depending on my mood. Both make good beer.

Technically, all you need to take the step from BIAB to using a MT is the vessel to be used as the MT. When I went from extract to BIAB, I bought a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer pot and propane burner for 5 gallon batches. Not sure what volume you are currently doing with BIAB, but you may already have something like this. Going to the MT I just re-purposed a large beverage cooler that I already had, added a ball valve and manifold for draining into the same pot I used for BIAB.

Other than mashing in a separate vessel, the principals are all the same. Make no mistake, you can make fantastic beer with both BIAB and using a MT. All comes down to personal preference. Afterall, it's your beer, so do what works best for you.

Cheers!

You Probably just meant to say the "Traditional way"....you don't need a large expensive pot, a cooler tun will work just fine! Actually has some advantages too! All you need for a basic batch sparge setup, is a 5 or 10 gallon cooler, a stainless ball valve, False bottom (wether stainless, or homemade), and ......uh.......a good Mash Paddle;)

People pay a lot of money for mash tuns. I figure they must do something...

Also seems closer to the method real breweries use. Some day I'd like to work in one.

I built mine out of a cooler I want to say it was around $70. And it works great

harlemhomebrew said:
People pay a lot of money for mash tuns. I figure they must do something...

Also seems closer to the method real breweries use. Some day I'd like to work in one.

Some people pay a lot of money.
Most of us DIY it and get a free cooler, add a stainless braid hose, then upgrade to a false bottom, SS 3 piece ball valve and 4 feet of silicone tube.
Ahhhh hell!! I am $100 into my cooler tun. Guess I am one of the "some"

I got lucky and am buying a "deluxe" northern brewer 5 gal kit a MT/HLT etc from a guy in my club for 100. Retails for 200. Going to get another screen to make another MT out of the HLT as I don't use the HLT.
I also found a 5 gal igloo cooler on a FB sales page for 15 bucks. I'd assume all the other stuff would have cost about 40 to make it a MT.

I'd 2nd Denny's build but also google Don Osborns cheap mash tun - I built one for about $30 and it works great up to 10 gallon batches.

I started with a cooler mash tun and switched to BIAB...the extra cleanup wasn't worth the trouble and I have better mash temp control, especially if you're doing batches around 5 gallons.

Forgot to add that I use both BIAB and batch sparging in a cooler mash tun. I like having the option based on 1. Batch size 2. Grain bill 3. Outdoor or indoor brewing

You are very versatile with the two setups.

I started with a cooler mash tun and switched to BIAB...the extra cleanup wasn't worth the trouble and I have better mash temp control, especially if you're doing batches around 5 gallons.

This is true... BUT I mash in a cooler and once you have an understanding of how your system operates, multi-step mashes are just as easy in a cooler.

I can do 3 step infusions with additions of hot water each time and be within a degree of where I want to be in my cooler. It has taken me about 10 batches to get this comfortable, but it can be done.

I've been brewing BiAB for about six months now. I'd really like to learn how to brew all grain the "proper" way but I don't know where to start.

Exactly how much more equipment do I need? Just the igloo cooler or do I need one of the large kettles with a thermometer and a spigot?

What do I need to know about the mashing process that I don't already know from BIAB? Is it a significant upgrade in terms of precision or just a different way of doing things?

See dennybrew.com

Back