Show us your element housings/pots. How did you do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 to that.

You should be able to plug anything in and never be exposed to live current, no matter what the device is.

This is why wall plugs are always female.

This is why the a removable power cord for your PC/toaster/TV has a female end on the part that plugs into the TV. Like this:

Cable%20USA%203%20pin%20to%20IEC.jpg

If it stays plugged into the wall socket but comes undone at the appliance, there are no live wires.

Kal

+1 to that.

You should be able to plug anything in and never be exposed to live current, no matter what the device is.

This is why wall plugs are always female.

This is why the a removable power cord for your PC/toaster/TV has a female end on the part that plugs into the TV. Like this:

Cable%20USA%203%20pin%20to%20IEC.jpg

If it stays plugged into the wall socket but comes undone at the appliance, there are no live wires.

Kal

That would explain why I haven't seen any others like that. I guess I will swap those out.

Thanks for the tip.

I was looking for those but I couldn't find any rated for 20a. I might have to just go with a short 12g cord hanging off the kettle. Not what I really wanted but it sounds like a better option then live prongs laying on a wet floor :).

Personally, I'd go with a twist-lock and they are available in 20A.

Turn-Lock Three-Blade Male Flanged Receptacle, NEMA L5-20
McMaster# 7162K9

4004.jpg

I was looking for those but I couldn't find any rated for 20a. I might have to just go with a short 12g cord hanging off the kettle. Not what I really wanted but it sounds like a better option then live prongs laying on a wet floor :).

Here is the one I bought. Rated for 20A

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00917YZMW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

This is what I use (/will use when it arrives) for the power to my control box. My element has a 12ga power cord that connects to the element inside a gang box. On the other end, the prongs connect to an outlet built in to the control box. No live wires!

However, I do agree that the twist lock receptacles are safer and look nicer. unfortunately, they are more expensive, but it depends what you're going for.

Last edited by a moderator:
JayMac said:
Here is the one I bought. Rated for 20A

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00917YZMW/ref=oh_details_o02_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what I use (/will use when it arrives) for the power to my control box. My element has a 12ga power cord that connects to the element inside a gang box. On the other end, the prongs connect to an outlet built in to the control box. No live wires!

However, I do agree that the twist lock receptacles are safer and look nicer. unfortunately, they are more expensive, but it depends what you're going for.

I went with two of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-Type-Powe...o_Audio_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebd409fc7

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's mine. I was trying to get something simple and low-profile with a detachable cord. They're 120v 1500w elements, so I wired them up to a standard NEMA 5-15 plug ( your typical north American household outlet ).

The gray part is a 1" electrical conduit coupler which slides over the heating element. The yellow part was the inside of a replacement cord end I bought at Princess Auto http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Pvc/15A-125V-Male-Rubber-Cord-Connector/0700146.p but it looked like the ones at Home Depot were the same size. I sanded the inside of the conduit coupler slightly to allow for a tight compression fit with the cord end. The ground wire was soldered to the metal housing of the element, which provides a good ground connection to the keg as the threaded coupler is welded to the keg itself. The whole assembly was filled half-way with epoxy to ensure the electrical connections to the element don't come loose, and to hold the coupler onto the element.

Works great. The yellow plug is extremely snug, but if I ever have troubles with it in the future, I'll re-install the screws and set them in epoxy.

169064d1388442098-simple-plug-ends-my-electric-elements-1388442097103.jpg

169061d1388441758-simple-plug-ends-my-electric-elements-1388441757115.jpg

169062d1388441778-simple-plug-ends-my-electric-elements-1388441776474.jpg

The last picture shows both of the 1500w elements in my BK. I've done one of them in this picture, the other one still needs to be done.

Also posted here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/simple-plug-ends-my-electric-elements-450564/

I just saw this and have to say that's pretty sweet! You should make more up and sell them! I'd be in for one for sure

IMG_5527_zpsb5081d07.jpg

Not sure where to ask this but....

I want to purchase a 20 gallon stainless kettle and have a tri clover fitting welded to fit an element piece from Brewers hardware.

Does anyone now know where I can purchase the kettle with the fitting welded in or... send one and have it done?

Yambor44 said:
Not sure where to ask this but.... I want to purchase a 20 gallon stainless kettle and have a tri clover fitting welded to fit an element piece from Brewers hardware. Does anyone now know where I can purchase the kettle with the fitting welded in or... send one and have it done?
I got mine from Stout. BrewersHardware.com also sells custom kettles as do the makers of Brewhemoth.

Thanks heckels. That's exactly what I want when it's done. Did they weld the TC fitting into the kettle for you? I have a contact form into BH and waiting to hear back from them. Forgive me but what's a Hubble strain relief?

Yambor44 said:
Thanks heckels. That's exactly what I want when it's done. Did they weld the TC fitting into the kettle for you? I have a contact form into BH and waiting to hear back from them. Forgive me but what's a Hubble strain relief?

Yep. I believe all of Stout's tanks use TC fittings. I had requested that they up the port size for the element to 2" to make it easier to use a ripple element.

The strain relief is the piece coming out of the element housing. It helps to reduced the strain on the connections where they go into the housing.

My element enclosure was inspried by Bobbie's new enclosure except I sandwiched a welding spud with the lid of a stainless steel kitchen shaker with silver solder. See my build linked in my sign for more details.

Silver soldered the ground lug
IMG_20140104_202730.jpg

This turned out to be too much wire. I didn't account for the ground wire taking up space inside the can when I wound the wire (there is about 4' of each color). In the end there is only about 2' of each color within the can (except the ground).
IMG_20140104_202835.jpg

The final product with the connectors pushed into the switchcraft plug (that was a pain).
IMG_20140104_215822.jpg

Just before it was screwed on (I put a reverse torque on the wires before screwing them in so they would relax when tightened).
IMG_20140104_220059.jpg

And complete
IMG_20140102_213514.jpg

Still Dragon setup I'll likely be upgrading that strain relief or painting it black. I just need one more for my boil pot.

I debated over this one or Bobby's from brewhardware.com and in the end in happier with this one. I have the Brewhardware rims tube with element enclosure and the Still Dragon is hands down nicer and beefier. It's also 2" instead of 1-1/2" I barely fit that ripple element in the 2" enclosure.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

1389242920357.jpg

Cheap waterproof and effective as others have stated... just used a 1 1/4" electrical coupler filled with harbor freight epoxy. For now I save my "bling" for the beer...
Later I may want something a little more impressive looking for me and the brew friends.... ( have yet to befriend anyone locally in the hobby but one person who brews with gas in his shed an hour away) Right now I'm spending were its more important though.
I do wish I had put the switch craft connectors close to the kettles as the longer cords are a pain when carrying my boil kettle over to the bathroom to clean it. ( brewing in a spare bedroom - no basement)

IMG_20140108_084807.jpg

My element enclosure was inspried by Bobbie's new enclosure except I sandwiched a welding spud with the lid of a stainless steel kitchen shaker with silver solder. See my build linked in my sign for more details.

Silver soldered the ground lug
IMG_20140104_202730.jpg

This turned out to be too much wire. I didn't account for the ground wire taking up space inside the can when I wound the wire (there is about 4' of each color). In the end there is only about 2' of each color within the can (except the ground).
IMG_20140104_202835.jpg

The final product with the connectors pushed into the switchcraft plug (that was a pain).
IMG_20140104_215822.jpg

Just before it was screwed on (I put a reverse torque on the wires before screwing them in so they would relax when tightened).
IMG_20140104_220059.jpg

And complete
IMG_20140102_213514.jpg

I LIKE THIS!!!

Did you just the lid that came with it, with all the holes and stuff?

Tim

Still Dragon housing here. Another member here welded the TC ferrule to the keggle. I removed the too-small plastic strain releif that came with it, widened the hole, and used a large SS PG21 gland. Works great. Nice to be able to remove the ripple element so easily for cleaning.

_mg_7582-61704.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390351906.645288.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390351927.994322.jpg
Enclosures by bobby, they're the weldless version with camco ripple elements. Perfectly waterproof the first time. Awesome product.

Back