What is your favorite dry hop combination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaveBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a hoppy red IPA fermenting and I want to dry hop it with about 2 oz of something. I finally got my hands on some simcoe, amarillo and citra. In my freezer I have chinook, summit, cascade, calypso, simcoe, amarillo and citra. What sounds like the best combo for the job?

IF you are only going to use what you have on that list.... I would go with amarillo and........ not sure - maybe cascade (not real familiar with calypso or summit as dry hop.)

My favorite - especially in hoppy amber ales - Falconers Flight. It is a blend of hops and I love it for amber ales.

which hops did you use in the boil?

pretty much all of those hops can be used in great combinations, i'd use something similar to what you used in the boil/flameout

I used chinook for bittering simcoe for flavor and amarillo and citra at flame out. The only one of those I have dry hopped with before I chinook. I didn't know if there was a preferred combination that people used with what I haveon hand.

When I go for hoppy, I use a mix of Cascade, Perl and Amarillo. You could use Summit instead of Perl. A half-ounce of each for a week, then check the aroma.

I used chinook for bittering simcoe for flavor and amarillo and citra at flame out. The only one of those I have dry hopped with before I chinook. I didn't know if there was a preferred combination that people used with what I haveon hand.

I made a beer with these 4 throughout the boil, and dry hopping and it was delicious.

Id throw in an ounce of all 4 for 10 days and call it delicious.

any combo of the 4 of those would work well, although i would only use 2 or 3 hops

i would use amarillo, simcoe and citra personally - will give you a nice citrus/fruity aroma which i personally prefer in my ipas

My favorite IPA was finished with Amarillo and Simco. Only thing I would do differently is make the proportions 2 to 1 (2 parts Am to 1 part Sim).

Let us know how it goes!:mug:

For my house APA I use a dry hop with equal parts of centennial/chinook/ahtanum. It gives me a great citrus/orangy/fruity aroma that pairs well with the cascade hops in the boil.

I like Riwaka as a dry hop.

I use it with Waimea for the full 60 minutes, Nelson Sauvin for 30, and Motueka at flame-out.

I've tried lots of combos, but the Riwaka as a dry hop is a stand-out.

i've been absolutely loving calypso as of late, even great by itself imo.

if it were me i'd go calypso/amarillo. or calypso/amarillo/simcoe sounds pretty damn awesome. which is what i was going to dry hop my next ipa with.

Back