Sanitizing Solution Sucked Into Carboy During Coldcrash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logzor

Reaction score
So I was coldcrashing my 90 minute IPA and I came home today and noticed all of the homemade sanitizing solution got sucked into the carboy, about 1/2 gallon or so.

But the sanitizing solution was originally made of 1/4 cup bleach and 1/4 cup vinegar into 5 gallons. So it was a very weak solution, plus it was already beer colored due to all of the overflow that occurred during fermentation.

Will my beer still be OK to drink? I would think anything bad in the bleach would have evaporated by now, so that just leaves so vinegar. The original solution was made 4+ weeks ago.

Tastes fine, I actually was able to siphon off the "top layer" which was basically the sanitizer. I theory I hope the bleach would have evaporated after sitting in an open jug for 4+ weeks.

Oh man, you're lucky. I would never use that mix in an air lock... star san or vodka (or whatever sipping alcohol you may have) is safe and sterile.
Beer plus chlorine = bad juju.

i dont understand why people would use something like bleach in an airlock where it could potentially be sucked back into the beer.

i know my first batch i had no rinse sanitizer and it sucked in a few times (me not knowing what i was doing)

but i would go with that and/or alcohol, whatever you wouldn't mind putting into your body...which for sure isn't bleach

I did not use an air lock.

I used a separate blow-off container but the lower temp cause a pressure change which forced it up the tube and into the carboy.

The sanitizing solution I am talking about IS A NO RINSE SANITIZER recommended on one of the home brew podcasts. The 1/4 cup vinegar / bleach to 5g solution was recommended by the maker of Starsan...

I use this on all of my equipment, including bottles, caps, etc.

Also, after 4+ weeks in an open bottle all the chlorine would have been gone....

Back