Hot side airation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
I just got back from my LHBS. While I was there I was telling him about yhe new 10gal system that I'm building. Here's what I'm doing it's going to be a two tier with the MLT and boil pot on the same level. I don't have a pump so I was planning on draining wort off the MLT into a bucket then dumping it into the boil. He said this was bad because of HOT SIDE AIRATION. He got busy with other customers so I didn't get an explanation. I've never heard of this before, I thought when you boil all the o2 is removed. So what affect dose HOT SIDE AIRATION have?

Pretty much 99% of us here with a lot of experience believe that HSA is a complete non-issue. There simply is not enough interaction to create a bond that boiling wil not break. Personally I go with the commercial brewers in their belief that we have nothing to worry about here. That doesn't mean there won't be a self proclaimed expert on this sight who goes against this conventional wisdom and claims to know better than the pros.

For what it's worth, I think the next "Brew Strong" on the Brewing Network (with Jamil and John Palmer) is going to talk about Hot Side Aeration. I'll be curious to see how serious they think it is for the homebrewer.

I will be definetly be checking that out. do you know when it will air?

Back