12oz 22oz bottle conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjmieritz

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I got done bottling a 5gl batch of american ale half in 22oz and the other half in 12oz bottles about 2 weeks ago. Im very inpatient so I tried one of each, the 12oz are still very fruity, the 22oz bottle are not quite ready yet but they taste really good.

it seems odd to me that the 22s are done before the 12s.

any thoughts on this one?????

Thanks,

Rob

I've had the same experience...the 22's are usually drinkable within 2 weeks and a full 3 are needed for the 12's. My guess is that there is just more yeast in the 22's and carbonate/condition faster...but that is just a dumb guess.

You're not alone at least in this experience

I think it has more to do with the headspace, surface area between the beer and headspace and beer volume. More beer volume with about the same headspace and surface area makes it carb faster. At least that's my theory. :D

I should not make difference IMO. Unless the beer and sugar was not mixed well in the bottling bucket.

I don't know why it's finished earlier, but I'm drinking the 22's at least a week earlier than the 12's. After 3-4 weeks there really is no difference though. All of my beers have been ales, and less than 1.060...I'm gonna bottle a scotch ale next week, and we'll see if there's any difference there.

Thank for the quick replys, its nice to know im not the only one this has happened to. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Rob

Back