Drinking while Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you drink while brewing?

• Yes, but only HomeBrew

• No, I am clumsy enough as it is

• Yes, but (I am so ashamed) it is store bought

• Yes, anything I can get my hands on.

• Yes, I will drink HB or store bought. I like to stay in the style I am brewing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Couevas

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed before...but I think it to be almost sacreligious to not have a homebrew in hand throughout your brewday.

I have heard all the horror stories of getting burnt, missing hop additions and so on, but isn't that part of the fun? I even posed a rule when I was teaching a college roommate to brew. I told him he was not allowed to help me unless he had a beer in his hand at all times.

Plus, unless brewing in the winter, it is d@mn hot here in Vegas and a nice Pale helps that quite a bit.

I'll drink whatever is available, homebrew or not. I limit my consumption to 1-2 beers while brewing, but consider it part of the process, paying homage to the brew gods in hopes of a successful batch.

I generally have a couple, although my last brew session I mixed it a few White Russians and some cider and generally overdid it. But for what it's worth, the beer came out nicely. :)

When brewing, I always drink only milk or lemonade.....And I like to wear a skirt and do a little dusting during the boil.

Or mabe I drink whatever is available. It's so hard to remember! :D

i checked only homebrew (cuz that was the best option) but often i will buy a bunch of different beer for the style i am brewing. i'll get like 6 different commercial stouts and try them as i'm brewing a new stout recipe, for instance :)

If I knew how to edit a poll, I would add a fourth response for those that will drink anything they can get their hands on;)

EDIT: Thank you ollllo

...but often i will buy a bunch of different beer for the style i am brewing. i'll get like 6 different commercial stouts and try them as i'm brewing a new stout recipe, for instance :)

ollllo added some possible responses for me. I added one just for you Death. It is a pretty good one.

My last brew day was an early morning and I had errands to run afterwords so I brewed it sober. It felt really weird... I have to say though, cleanup was a snap and it was probably my most efficient brew day ever...

I generally drink a beer or two since you have a lot of down time in between steps in brewing. But I wouldn't dare get drunk and work with hot flames and boiling liquids.

I always brew better sober, and I usually brew pretty early in the morning so I tend to not drink. I'm almost too busy to drink anyway because I'll always tie in other chores during brewing as well.

However, if I'm at a big brew day with the club, then I'm definitely drinking.

I chose no, I started brewing at 7am on Saturdays just so that I will be finished brewing before I am tempted to break into the homebrews. Everytime that I have drank while brewing, something has gone wrong....

I'll drink whatever I have on hand and I'm not at all ashamed if it's commercial. I buy some really nice commercial brews and they go well with brewing. That being said, I tend to start brewing early in the afternoon or late morning so I don't get into the brew until well into the boil. Drinking too early makes me lazy and my cleanup would suffer.

My 2 batches have been brewed in the afternoonn/evening, so a beer was
needed. Gotta empty them bottles for the batch ahead, right?

I'm also more of an evening brewer so its almost necessary to have a beer in hand (preferably homebrew, but if that runs out I'll go commercial). Last brew was pushed into the wee hours of the morning. Next time I'll remember not to start at 9pm. At least it was an extract with steeping grains - anything more complex and I would have been up all night.

I voted for "I'll drink anything" but I tend to stick mostly with the homebrew (I time batches so that bottles are ready when it's time to brew another). The times I've stayed "in style" I have actually poured a little shot (like my homies do) into the boil for good luck.

I like have one during the mash and another one during the boil.

What else am I going to do with all that down time?

I used to try to drink a commercial example of the style I was making for inspiration, but I find that a light beer is a must for making beer indoors (my favorite is a belgian white) because it's just too dang hot.

The results so far are somewhat surprising.
I thought there would be a lot more votes for HB only. I guess most people aren't as insane as those of us that keep a minimum of 25 gallons of HB on hand at all times:D

I voted yes, but certainly not always, and it is not a beer in hand througout kind of deal.

If I brew in the afternoon, yeah I will have a beer during the boil. Typically I am busy running around sanitizing, heating water, moving stuff etc to drink before that point.

If I brew in the morning, I stick to water.

I usually dont have enough HB on hand to keep me going through the whole brewday (for shame). I always end up way to hammered at the end of the day and always do my cleanup the next day, along with swearing to myself that the next time I brew I wont get so drunk. Still no luck on that yet:mug: I think I just need to start brewing earlier in the day instead of starting at 9pm, which is what almost always happens.

I'll drink whatever is available, homebrew or not. I limit my consumption to 1-2 beers while brewing, but consider it part of the process, paying homage to the brew gods in hopes of a successful batch.

+1

Homebrew if available, good commercial otherwise. More than 1 or 2 and I start forgetting things...:drunk:

I know this has been discussed before...but I think it to be almost sacreligious to not have a homebrew in hand throughout your brewday.

I normally brew starting around 7-8am on weekends so I do not have a beer breakfast.

As I'm finishing up the cleanup (around noon) I'll usually crack one.

I will have a few beers while brewing and its really whatever is cold at the time. When I start kegging then it will mostly be HB

I voted yes, for HB. Once I had to have a store bought and I felt sorta defeated.

But I don't have one in my hand all the time. I use it more as a carrot. "Crush the malt. Setup. Get your HLT right. Mash in. Then you get to have a beer. Lauter. Get everything in your Kettle. Get it up to a boil without a boil over. Hotbreak. Start your timer. Now you get to have an other beer. etc"

Rudeboy

:confused: I wasn't aware you could brew without drinking. I drink homebrew if there's any left, then I move on to whatever's in the fridge. There haven't always been homebrews left for me, since my time is stretched pretty thin lately and the interval between brews is too long.

I generally have a pretty chill time, some beers, some tunes, and some more beers (in 3-6 weeks).

I'll normally have a few while I'm brewing, but I save most of the drinking until after I'm done. Doesn't matter to me if it's homebrew or commercial.

I like to run the taps while I'm brewing, although I use a sampling glass not a pint.

I drink anything and everything I can. It gets really hot in my kitchen when I brew, and the beer is nice to cool off.

Plus, you always need bottles.

I wake up early on Saturdays to brew. I usually am mashed in by 730

Now that doesn't mean I wont sit back and enjoy the quiet hours of the morning with a nice cold beer. But I usually try and wait until I at least have some cereal or something first.

But what if i replaced the milk in cereal with beer......two birds on stone kind of thing

But what if i replaced the milk in cereal with beer......two birds on stone kind of thing
Just pour a few ounces over some spent grains and chow down!
(c'mon, I know the rest of you have eaten them, too! *chew, chew, chew* At least it's good fiber, I guess...)

Though have you ever heard of "Captain Krunk?"
It's Captain Crunch plus Captain Morgan.

Talk about a breakfast of champions... :cross:

Me, I always drink while brewing. That's step # 1 is open a beer.
As for type? I'll drink whatever I have in the fridge at the time which could be just about anything. Rarely do I "stay in style" or anything like that.

Last brew, I made porter and drank Victory Pils, so... *shrug*

Always have a couple. My brewing is usually early afternoon - most of the time during the week. I get off work, stop in the LHBS on the way home if I need to, get my brothers and brew some beer. I don't think I've ever pitched yeast sober.:drunk:

Who needs timers.. two beers and the mash is done, another and it's time for the next sparge, two more for the final hop addition... :drunk:

- Eric

I'll have to give this a try next time my egg timer goes missing.

Seriously, brewing doesn't feel right if I don't have a pint in hand. I think it keeps my stress level down and just makes the experience that much more pleasant. It's hard not to have a relaxed attitude with a delicious beer in your hand.

I haven't done an early morning brew yet, but as long as I've had breakfast I imagine I'd still crave a brew by mash-in time.

I see that you can click on the number of votes for each section in the poll and see who voted for which option (Flawed democratic system here)

It's not too late to seek out those that voted NO, and go round to their place and smash up their equipment as punishment for their denial of the brew gods. ;)

Back