Bottle label goo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikescooling

Reaction score
Bottle label goo, I have asked friends and family who drink beers like Sam Addams and Sierra to save me their bottles and now I have a stash of 20cases. I have slowly been cleaning them taking the lables off with warm water in a 5 gal bucket. I get three 12 bottle cleanings before their is white goo floating in the bucket. Is this label goo or beer goo and what is the best course of action to not have goo stuck in a bottle?
Thanks Mike

That's likely glue residue. Just rinse your bottles well afterward and change out your water if you're concerned about it.

Hi

If you really want to go crazy, let the bottles soak for a while to pull off the labels and label glue. Rinse them and then start on the inside of the bottle.

There isn't anything weird about label stuff or glue. If your cleaning process is sound, it'll take care of it just fine.

Bob

Try a scoop of oxyclean in a bucket of water and just sink the bottles in it and let them soak overnight. When you pull them out the labels will basically fall off. Remove the first batch of bottles and replace with another. Continue until all are label free. I keep an oxy/water bucket at all times in the garage and all labeled bottles end up there.

My technique is I fill a storage tote with water, mix in a few scoops of oxiclean. Let as many bottles as I can fit in it soak over night. Labels peel right off the next day and then I load them all into my dishwasher for a final wash.

I have a cooler filled with oxy clean and water. Drop em in whenever, pull em out whenever. Labels gone, water slimy. Every month or so, I drain it out and replace water and oxy clean.

I have a cooler filled with oxy clean and water. Drop em in whenever, pull em out whenever. Labels gone, water slimy. Every month or so, I drain it out and replace water and oxy clean.

I use a five gallon bucket (Home Depot orange), and this is exactly the process and timeline I use.

Cody

Does the slimy water ever get inside the bottles? How do you deal with that?

BuckwildBrewing said:
Does the slimy water ever get inside the bottles? How do you deal with that?

A good couple of rinses with warm water typically gets the oxy or PBW "slime" off.

Agreed, especially if you have soft water. I figure as long as you don't let the slimy water dry, you're fine. I soak them in oxy overnight, the labels float off then I spent about 5 seconds per bottles removing the glue residue with steel wool. Rinse each bottle 2-3 times with warm water and they're fine. Any glue/label residue "goo" will rinse out unless it dried inside the bottle.

Back