I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck ya! Mostly bitters and some milds, but there were some interesting gems in the pile, including a couple porters, a treacle stout (prob my favorite), and a couple American Pale Ales. the "wildest" was probably a UK mild with cherries and chocolate. It was, uhmn, "interesting". The Camra folks were awesome, very friendly and chatty. I was impressed at how intrigued they are with the beer revolution that's been happening in the US.

You can see the pictures here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Boston-Spa-Beer-Festival/189371081975?fref=ts and some pics from the Friday (when I attended) http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151271887896976.451433.189371081975&type=1 (I'm in the teal/turquoise jacket).

Interestingly enough, they serve in half (10oz) or full pints (20oz) only. Yowza. :mug:

MC

Wow, great turn out! That place looks packed!

Added: Never heard of the term "meat bee" either. Apparently they are the same thing as yellow jackets. Will work on destroying them when I get feeling a little better.

Varmintman said:
Man I blew my back out a couple of days ago. Stupid pain pills are like drinking a 6 pack:(

Hoping it gets better soon so I can brew. Not because I need the beer but dang I am getting bored right out of my head.

Sorry to hear about the back. Hope you're feeling better and moving around soon.

My backs a little tweaked today too. Not out, but not happy. Seems like the second day after a hard workout is always the worst.

So today I started renovating a 9x8 room that I'm turning into the wine and beer cellar. First step - chisel up 72 square feet of linoleum tiles. Seemed like for every time I managed to hit the chisel with the hammer I smacked my hand twice! :smack:

Luckily some wine and now beer is making the pain fade...

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I blew my back out a couple of days ago. Stupid pain pills are like drinking a 6 pack:(

I feel your pain. I was at the doctor last week and he said I probably have a pinched nerve in my back causing the leg pain I have been having. No pain pills though, I am sticking with ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation. If I mask the pain with something stronger I usually end up doing something stupid that makes matters worse. Slowly getting better, either that or I am just getting used to it. Like my shoulders, neck and knees. This getting old sucks, maybe I need to soak nekkid in a hot tub for a while. Bobbi, that hot tub filled and heated up yet? :D

I feel your pain. I was at the doctor last week and he said I probably have a pinched nerve in my back causing the leg pain I have been having. No pain pills though, I am sticking with ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation. If I mask the pain with something stronger I usually end up doing something stupid that makes matters worse. Slowly getting better, either that or I am just getting used to it. Like my shoulders, neck and knees. This getting old sucks, maybe I need to soak nekkid in a hot tub for a while. Bobbi, that hot tub filled and heated up yet? :D

I agree ... Why can't we all stay 39? Bobbi - have any advice to those of us feeling too much age? :)

About to head to bed. Even though I'm off tomorrow I have a lot to do around the house tomorrow. I'll leave you with this gem. I loveTraffic - even if they are all high in this video.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSQ1akE2CcM&sns=em"[/URL]

Just a little bit and the hot tub will be warmed up, boiling big kettles of water to speed up the process!!

Hmmm... how to stay 39 forever... First, never let anyone see your ID. You can also try putting duct tape on your face to smooth out any wrinkles. Oh, and lots of sleep. :mug:

About to head to bed. Even though I'm off tomorrow I have a lot to do around the house tomorrow. I'll leave you with this gem. I loveTraffic - even if they are all high in this video.

I'm thinking I will need to watch closely to see if they are really high in the video. Didn't need to watch closely at all. Wow.

So ... For a while now I've been considering what and where to post for my 1K post. This site is great with many a worthy thread, but I feel this is my home. Even though I'm not usually up late, I can relate to people on here - even if not in every circumstance. Every one on here is laid back and seems to take a moment to consider where someone is coming from in their posts. So there has been no flaming, no trolling here - and that is awesome. I think Dan (when he returns from his Lenten introspective) would agree - this is what makes this thread so great.

In the end this is where I chose to mark my 1,000th post. With a song from the same tour that's saw in Cleveland .... To me so haunting...

mcbaumannerb,

Couldn't agree more with your comments. :mug:

I suppose it is common occurance, but I also find it interesting how this group communicates via the Youtube music postings.

I could see it taking Dan another month to catch up once he is back. :ban:

Tried to make double batch of mozarella. Should have followed directions. :p Now have extra large batch of ricottaish cheese. Tasty, but not what I was shooting for.

Put together a batch of concord wine to make myself feel better. OG, 1.160, expect FG 1.010-1020. Yummy.

Added some organic apple cider vinegar to rice wine, hopefully will turn into rice wine vinegar now.

Nice that you can make different types of cheeses by making mistakes. Now you just need to make a double batch of lasagna!

Nice that you can make different types of cheeses by making mistakes. Now you just need to make a double batch of lasagna!
Stuffed manicotti and lasagna maybe. :)

I've made ricotta a few times, so I knew it would be cheese. Just annoyed it came out as a dry ricotta rather then a mozzarella.:eek:

I had to add more citric acid then the recipe called for in order to get a clean break. I was using whole milk, and sometimes they need more acid then the recipes call for. That meant that I ended up breaking up the curd a lot, and then went over temp when heating the curd. That means that I got to many of the wrong kinds of proteins to coagulate. That kept the cheese from getting all stretchy and yummy. No matter how hot I got the curd.

Making cheese does seem to be kinda like brewing. It might not be exactly what you wanted, but it will still be cheese.

I'm going to go to sleep now, I had some nice strong wine.

Wow, great turn out! That place looks packed!

It was! And that was the Friday night, supposedly quieter/tamer. They sold out (of tickets) both nights, and mostly ran out of beer on the Saturday night. It's OK as they are token-based, pay-as-you-go. So as long as you don't buy too many tokens at once, you're fine. Usually would buy 5# sheets.

It's a very big social event in that town, more of a "social" than a beer fest, but still quite impressive. The townfolks were awesome!

MC

...there has been no flaming, no trolling here

I think maybe trolls and flamers are scairt of toothy marsupials so maybe Bobbi might have to let Mr Possum run free for a while.

Great song by Neil Young, loved the sound of the old pump organ.

Here's another good one. Just gotta love harmony, both in music and life.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-q7Mih69KE"]Seven Bridges Road[/ame]

I think maybe trolls and flamers are scairt of toothy marsupials so maybe Bobbi might have to let Mr Possum run free for a while.

Great song by Neil Young, loved the sound of the old pump organ.

Here's another good one. Just gotta love harmony, both in music and life.

It is a huge possum. I even started to wonder if his fat ass would even fit into the trap. If I keep the camera handy on the porch, I might have better luck getting a picture of him. His fur is all matted and growing in blotches and his eyes glow, a sinister glow. I'm sure he'd scare off trolls and arsonists trying to creep around. No doubt.

Speaking of that thing called sleep, I only got about 3 hours last night. Probably catch a nap today though. Hubby was supposed to be back at the hospital at 7:45 this morning but the truck wouldn't start. A diesel and it got in the 20s here. Very cold for us, coldest night this year. By the time I got the combustion chamber heated up, his procedure was re-scheduled for tomorrow. Could have borrowed the "family car" but didn't feel like riding 2 miles on the 4 wheeler to get it. When it's that cold out, I freeze and can not function. Wasn't a problem though and he's happy about an extra night at home. Rescheduled for tomorrow morning.

Brrrr. This is nuts. Brewing this afternoon on the back patio. 29* with 24 mph NW wind so it feels like 14*. What a day to jump into AG BIAB. A little tricky to keep the mash temp constant. Mash temp is supposed to be 151 for 60. I've been between 149 and 156, but I bet the average will be fairly close. Need to go turn on the burner every 20 min.

Ahh, yes, no worries. One of the last times I brewed it was so windy my temps went crazy. Nearly even blowing out the propane when trying to put it on low to gently warm by BIAB.

Loving this, oh so relaxing, song.... Must put it on my playlist for next time I brew, which will be tomorrow if I have the energy. Will have to move some things around first.

Here's another good one for my brew day play list:

Here's another good one for my brew day play list:

Most excellent BobbiLynn!

The sun has come out, I've Mashed Out, and now on to the boil.

Target OG is 1.052, I'm at 1.045 (temp adjusted) pre-boil. I'm going to add 1 lb. of Honey at flame out so I should be pretty good on the OG.

I layed down to take a nap, smelled something and remembered I'm making chili. In the 20s, 30s, 40s, I'm frozen. Need hot chili. Peppers I froze from last spring. If I can stay awake and don't burn it, it'll be delicious. Hubby's last meal at home for a bit. Gotta stay awake and make it good.

On a side note, I'm so glad doctors have been able to supply hubby with so many replacement parts and he's still running. Well, not literally running, but he can move forward at his own pace. His speeds are slow and stop unfortunately. If they can just replace the alternator, we'd be all set. That would keep his batteries charged.

He has a medical ID thing now just for facing a metal detector. I will start calling him robo-hubby. :rockin:

I guess to hurry a pot of chili, same idea as brewing, partial boil then add water as needed at the end. No time for a full boil! Must meld flavors quickly.

BL,

Glad to hear he is mobile. Sometimes these docs do pretty amazing stuff. I have a BIL who is a family practice doc.

Six months ago our daughter gave birth to her baby boy on the bedroom floor after she sent hubby to work in the morning. She gathered up the baby, called 911, and was even able to give them the garage door code when they arrived. Wife is a Mother/Baby nurse and noticed that afternoon that the baby's color and temp was a little off, so she had a NICU doc come take a look. Yup, he had the start of an infection. Ended up spending 18 days in NICU with a couple really scary nights. Now you look at him and couldn't tell.

Daughter commented later that when the paramedics arrived she realized she had 6 big, good looking guys standing around her in the house and she didn't have hardly any clothes on at all. Don't think anyone noticed/cared at that point in time.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and the hubby.

Take care!

He has a medical ID thing now just for facing a metal detector. I will start calling him robo-hubby. :rockin:

My dad has a defibulator, that no medical detector card can sometimes work wonders in lines at the airport and other places. Last time I traveled with him, we didn't have to wait in line, he just showed a security person his card and they pulled both of us out of the line and we walked past everyone (me as his bag boy) and each got a quick pat down, no metal detector, no x ray, no bomb sniffer and we were gone.

I ask his dr if he would just implant the old one under my skin, and get me a card but he said no.

It is amazing what they can do. But they still cannot cur the common cold:ban:

Well I am sick and tired of sitting on the hot pad. I am going to brew tonight if it kills me. I got one of those garden carts that I can put the boil kettle on and wheel it around so I do not have to lift it. Only part that will be tough I think is getting the fermenter into the fermenter chamber. Might have to get the wife to help there.

Man I hate taking the pills and sitting on the hot pad watching the news. Been 4 months since I took the pills last time. I really hate taking them since they tear my stomach up and put me into next week. Nope just give me a beer and I am happy

You know why I hate taking the pills so much. Yesterday my dad called and asked me if I wanted a sound recording of my moms funeral. I was higher than a kite on those stupid pills and was expected to give a cognitive answer.

What do you say to something like that. Mom has been gone for years. First time in months I took the stupid pills and I get hit with that.

And no I really do not know how I replied. Hoping I made sense though:mad:

Sorry you have to take those dang pills. Hell, when my son was born, I had been given drugs and didn't even remember what I named him until the birth certificate came in the mail. Can't believe they even asked me to fill it out at that time, without no one else present to correct me about the name we had chosen. Oh well, my son loves his name. For the first 2 weeks I called him Jeremy, and that wasn't even his name. :confused:

Sorry you have to take those dang pills. Hell, when my son was born, I had been given drugs and didn't even remember what I named him until the birth certificate came in the mail. Can't believe they even asked me to fill it out at that time, without no one else present to correct me about the name we had chosen. Oh well, my son loves his name. For the first 2 weeks I called him Jeremy, and that wasn't even his name. :confused:

I am thinking I will have to go in and see the Dr this time. They will give me steroids that seems to help a bunch and at least I do not lose track of the days.

I really am a lightweight when it comes to pills. Heck I am a light weight when it comes to beer as well:p

No matter I am going to brew tonight even though I do not need to. Be kind of nice to be doing something.:mug:

barneygumble said:
There's a forum here for sours (Lambic and wild brewing). Brett adds that...funk flavor. Lacto adds the sour. I have had a few great wild beers and tried to duplicate. Meh, its good (I am proud for my first attempt) but not competition good. But the women were hoping for the syrup sweet Lindemans Lambic Framboise. There are NO residual sugars in my beer. (1.002). Dry as a desert.

So I just tossed the question in here instead of the lambic forum first, partly just to say thanks for welcoming me into this great thread.

Shouldda left those beers go for a year or two that you dumped! lol.

If you want lindeman's just dump artificial Sweetner in it and water it down to 2.5 abv

Since when is brewing on a "need to" basis? Be careful. Well, have been times when I felt brewing was a "need to" basis, running out!!! That must not happen!!! Must have at least 5 cases of beer at all times! Never know when you'll hit a dry spell and not time/no able to brew. Stock piles... that's the answer... stock piles.... I got close to 5 cases now. Meteorite hits and all hell breaks loose, I got beer.

Back