Words and phrases I hate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bar tend

A bartender tends bar, he (or she) does not "bar tend"

people who say "that there" or "this here"......I parked this here car in that there garage.

The "awkward" thing bugs the heck out of me, and I don't know when it started but my kids started doing it and I put a quick halt to it. Say one of the kids asks for a glass of water, and I say get it yourself - "That was awkward" says one of the other ones to the thirsty one. Also overuse of the word "epic" has been banned in my house.

Swmbo is funny, I don't understand the hate for it. Maybe someone can explain why so many take issue with it?

The "awkward" thing bugs the heck out of me, and I don't know when it started but my kids started doing it and I put a quick halt to it. Say one of the kids asks for a glass of water, and I say get it yourself - "That was awkward" says one of the other ones to the thirsty one. Also overuse of the word "epic" has been banned in my house.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the word "awkward" itself, but overuse in situations that don't really warrant it (like your example) is annoying.

thadius856 said:
Because it implies that either:

1) She's a raving *****; or,
2) You have no cajones

Or it's just a joke? Lol I don't know maybe it's just because I don't find myself questioning my "authority" in my home all that much I don't know to each his own I guess

Or it's just a joke? Lol I don't know maybe it's just because I don't find myself questioning my "authority" in my home all that much I don't know to each his own I guess

No. Why would it be? She who must be obeyed.

So, again. Either she's controlling, or you just flat out submit to her. Neither is healthy.

I get that it's tongue-in-cheek and that's supposed to make it better, but it doesn't. Just because a racist or sexist poke is tongue-in-cheek doesn't make it less racist or less sexist.

Probably not a commonly-held dislike, but hey, that's the purpose of this thread.

3) Some people aren't happy unless they're offended about something.

Goes both ways.

Well you are right about one thing. The thread is phrases YOU hate or dislike so you aren't wrong for hating SWMBO or posting it

but I would hardly liken it to racial or sexist jokes,

it's just a joking exaggeration of the fact that you probably (should) take her into consideration before installing commercial kitchen stock pot stoves in your home for your new 1bbl all blichmann product brewery haha that you absolutely -needed-
then you go ahead and post a thread on here saying ironically "she who must be obeyed" doesn't get why I (needed) these things

See it is funny I called her swmustbeobeyed...

...yet she hardly ever is.

Hating swmbo "because it sounds like she rules me if I say it" seems insecure -to me.

Hating swmbo "because it sounds like she rules me if I say it" seems insecure -to me.

Interesting interpretation. Not sure how you went from me not liking a phrase because it's demeaning and pokes fun at unhealthy relationships, to thinking I'm afraid to say that my wife gets to make a healthy number of decisions in the household.

thadius856 said:
demeaning and pokes fun at unhealthy relationships.

If it really is just that, than I suppose that makes some sense why some could find it distasteful, I guess I just am comfortable in my "healthy" relationship, and don't really think about and am just insensitive about people's bad ones and thats why swmbo doesn't bother me haha I could buy into this theory. I am of the school of thought that if you are being dominated and ruled by an actual tyrannous SWMBO you truly, as you said earlier lack "cajones" haha and that is still funny to me

But enough of us back and forth off topic. I have nothing against you personally friend, we just view things "in different lights" which back on topic is a phrase I hate

I personally quite enjoy racial and sexist jokes, even though I am neither racist or sexist. I feel like it's a healthy part of celebrating the differences between cultures and genders, and if you really get the panties twisted over it then you need to just chill.

fumes
water softener (wtf is softer than water?!?)
net
liquid
pasty
pale
skinny
fat
healthy
fun

Soft water. Duh.

If it really is just that, than I suppose that makes perfect sense why some could find it distasteful, I guess I just am comfortable in my healthy relationship, and don't really think about and am slightly insensitive about people's bad ones and thats why swmbo doesn't bother me haha I could buy into this theory. I am of the school of thought that if you are being dominated and ruled by an actual tyrannous SWMBO you truly, as you said earlier lack "cajones" haha and that is still funny to me

But enough of us back and forth off topic. I have nothing against you personally friend, we just view things "in different lights" which back on topic is a phrase I hate

Did you just call my SWMBO a tyrannosaurus? :mad:

I personally quite enjoy racial and sexist jokes, even though I am neither racist or sexist. I feel like it's a healthy part of celebrating the differences between cultures and genders, and if you really get the panties twisted over it then you need to just chill.

I enjoy those sorts of jokes too. Really like racial humor, especially stand-up. But unless you are making a joke every time you use it, its not the same thing.

Panties twisted? Hardly. This thread literally asks us to spell out our lingual peeves. I'm not barging into peoples personal threads as the PC Police.

"Heard that" really? probably cause I just told it to you!

Epic and Ever are being WAY over used (it was the best EVER, or it was Epic) no. it wasn't!

Now Legen- wait for it............DARY!!! isn't used enough ;)

Anyone hear have the name Will? I swear Im about to start going by William, almost every time I go to a party or have to introduce myself I always have to repeat my name which gives off weird vibes. I can see why, it's one short burst of wuilll. Or woooul. Or wiool. I think that's what people hear the first time around, anyway.

lol coming from another William.. I know what ya mean. I still have to correct everyone that reads my name though since I actually go by my middle name of Patrick.

haha great times. Ive tried distinctively saying "will" in a very broad easy to read voice but that is almost worse than repeating myself. Luckily, your middle name is Patrick. Mine is Milton. Therefore I will be William all the days of my life.

I think someone already said this one, but using "literally" when they mean "figuratively."

My wife would love this thread. Poor grammar drives her nuts. When we got married, I (unbeknownst to me) had picked up a few coloquialisms that she couldn't stand, and after repeatedly correcting me when she caught me saying them, have excised them from my vocabulary. Among the worst offenders:

"Nother." As in, "I'm a pretty good skater, but rollerblading is a whole 'nother thing."

"One of them." I think this might be an east-coast thing. "What 'cha got there, Tom? Is that one of them new Camaros?"

"This/these things." If I'm telling my wife a story and say something like, "I was at the bus stop, and I met this homebrewer..." she'll cut me off and ask, "Which homebrewer? This one?" (Pointing out into space, feigning pointing at a person) "Or this one? Maybe this one? Or did you mean you met a homebrewer?"

"Some good." As in, "I had a slice of that birthday cake, and man, it was some good." My wife will ask, "Just some good? Not all good?"

"Right nice." I never really said this one much, but my grandmother says it all the time. "I was at church last week and they've finished rebuilding the pews. Now they look right nice."

I'm sure there's more, but those ones stick out in my mind.

kombat said:
"One of them." I think this might be an east-coast thing. "What 'cha got there, Tom? Is that one of them new Camaros?"

Nope, they do that here too.

Banker speak: I just heard an analyst use the word "optionality" to mean choice...as in "doing X maintains an optionality for you". Same category as using "optics" instead of "visibility"..."We don't have the optics on the fourth quarter yet". All unecessary complexification of words to increase the optics of one's intelligentality.

Nevertheless, nonetheless, and notwithstanding all have their places. However, they should be used rarely, except in formal circumstances. They all have meanings that are hard to replicate with a single word, so when you need them, you need them.

I'm also annoyed by the SWMBO term. I understand it's intended to poke fun, but it's patronizing and disrespectful (by design). Some spouses are ok with that, but it seems inappropriate for a public discussion forum. Like a lot of racist/sexist/etc terms and jokes, it might be intended in fun, but the people it's poking fun may not be in on the joke. It makes it a less welcoming environment, whether that's intended or not.

Anyone hear have the name Will? I swear Im about to start going by William, almost every time I go to a party or have to introduce myself I always have to repeat my name which gives off weird vibes. I can see why, it's one short burst of wuilll. Or woooul. Or wiool. I think that's what people hear the first time around, anyway.
and there is a difference between William and Willam, people! and neither are pronounced Will-uhm.

Billy-Klubb said:
and there is a difference between William and Willam, people! and neither are pronounced Will-uhm.

How about Billiam. Anybody ever call you that? I find it annoying just hearing it.

Banker speak: I just heard an analyst use the word "optionality" to mean choice...as in "doing X maintains an optionality for you". Same category as using "optics" instead of "visibility"..."We don't have the optics on the fourth quarter yet". All unecessary complexification of words to increase the optics of one's intelligentality.

I don't like overused corporate buzzwords. It's often just a mask for incompetence. When I hear someone who is fluent in "corporate speak" it just sounds like this to me:

"I empower myself by keeping on the bleeding edge of corporate lingo. Leveraging buzzwords is a best practice, and it is one of my core competencies, after all. All my jargon learnings have taken me to the next level, helping me give it 110% and impact the optics of my ego going forward."

Oh, well. I guess it is what it is. :D

"Here's another cretin who should be strapped to a gourney and castrated with a fishing knife. Any guy with a "can-do attitude" fuuuh... leave. me. alone" ~George Carlin

So, you'd prefer Will-yum? :p Bahahahaha.

How about Billiam. Anybody ever call you that? I find it annoying just hearing it.

Billy the Klubb was a nickname I got in Vegas. my real name is Andrew. I don't mind Andy, but when people call me Drew it fills me with a rage that gives me a headache.

Billy-Klubb said:
Billy the Klubb was a nickname I got in Vegas. my real name is Andrew. I don't mind Andy, but when people call me Drew it fills me with a rage that gives me a headache.

Nickname. Got it. Carry on Drew. :D

Back