I made a bleach boo boo.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Mainebrew

Reaction score
So I made a boo boo. A few batches ago, I used some bleach to clean and sterilize one of my corny kegs and lines. I rinsed well, but was unaware of how bad and how sensitive I am to the phenols produced by this (not to mention how bad that must have been for my SS corny). The affected tap has had that nasty phenolic taste/smell in every batch ever since then. The other side of the kegerator has been fine with great tasting/smelling beer. I've taken the corny out and cleaned it, dried it etc between batches and-while its better than it was- its still there. Is it my lines that need to be changed? Is there any way to get rid of it? Campden tablet? Please help me out, I have a great pale ale that I'm looking forward to putting on tap and I don't want it to have this nasty smell and taste. Thanks

Odds are it didn't mess up the keg. If it were me, I'd toss the line and replace them and oxy clean and star san the keg and tap. Lines are cheap. Start there.

How much bleach did you use? Did you dilute it? I have been using 1 oz vinegar and one oz bleach in five gallons of water to sanitize my fermentors... I know people that are super sensitive to phenol flavor/aromas. I ave always wondered when someone was going to be able to tell that I use bleach, but so far so good. One beer had this flavor, but it was a belgian yeast, so it was to be expected...

Back