Repurposed iPhone Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Situation: Wife got a new phone. It's actually more like a big-screen TV that somehow fits in your pocket. But her old phone was an eyePhone 4 non-s 16GB, with a pretty old iOS version--it is now mine.

I never was a huge iPhone fan, but since I have it I figure I might as well try to put it to good use. The google searching I did last night (can't remember the exact search query) somehow came up with the same old stuff over and over. Surprising how many links there were to the same "11 uses" for an old iPhone. Half of them were very unimaginitive ideas, like "Sell it" or "Give it away" or "use it as a dedicated audio player, video player, or e-reader."

Some of the better ones I found were using it as a remote control, or target practice.

So I figured I'd ask the good folks here since so many in the homebrewing community are very innovative. I'm a techy-nerd type. So weird stuff tends to be interesting to me.

Ideas?

Download some brewing apps and use it for a brewday timer....recipe book.... notepad or whatever else you can imagine

Sight in a nice rifle with it.
See how many times you can get it to skip on a calm pond.
Sharpen the edges and use it to fight off ninja's. :eek:
Pack it with tannerite, or put it into a container of tannerite and make it go BOOM! Record the sound and use that as your ring-tone for people who you know have eyephones... :D

Even with cellular turned off, there are almost unlimited functions it could perform.

It's a very good music player. At a minimum, use it as an Ipod.

It has a decent camera and video. Stick it in the car for impromptu picture taking.

Download some brewing apps and use it for a brewday timer....recipe book.... notepad or whatever else you can imagine

This is what I was thinking.
I use my laptop and beersmith for a brew timer, but the phone could be good for that.
Music player and a shiny target for my 338 came to mind also.

PROTIP
Jailbreak it, and turn it into an airplay receiver... Basically gives AirPlay capabilities to any speaker its pugged into.

Hock it. They're going for 200+ bucks on Ebay right now. So I'm all for being creative, but I doubt no matter what you use it for, it won't be worth 200 bucks. Hock it and use the money to buy some corny kegs.

Hock it. They're going for 200+ bucks on Ebay right now. So I'm all for being creative, but I doubt no matter what you use it for, it won't be worth 200 bucks. Hock it and use the money to buy some corny kegs.

If it's worth $200, that's what I would do.

do you have it through AT&T or Verizon? And what size memory is on it? That will effect your end price but as long as it functions you should be able to get a least 150 bucks at the lowest end (some 8 gig on Verizon with some minor damage that doesn't effect the phone)

Back