Ginger Lemongrass Saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bedman

Reaction score
Any comments or tips you have are appreciated. Came up with this recipe because a local farm has a bunch or fresh picked ginger and lemongrass. Anyone brewed with those ingredients before and think my amounts are ok? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Ginger Lemongrass Saison

Style: Saison OG: 1.065
Type: Extract FG: 1.013
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 6.81 %
Calories: 211 IBU's: 20.06
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 5.83 Gal
Color: 5.2 SRM Batch Size: 5.00 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.062 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 14 days @ 68.0°F
Secondary 14 days @ 72.0°F
Bottle/Keg 21 days @ 74.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
0.50 lbs 5.10 % Caravienne Malt 60 mins 1.034 (steeping grain)
6.30 lbs 64.29 % NB Pilsen Malt Syrup 60 mins 1.036
1.00 lbs 10.20 % Briess Pilsen DME 60 mins 1.043
1.00 lbs 10.20 % Briess Wheat DME 60 mins 1.043
1.00 lbs 10.20 % Honey 5 mins 1.035

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 15.55 Goldings, East Kent 60 mins 5.00
0.25 ozs 1.52 Styrian Goldings 10 mins 5.40
0.25 ozs 1.13 Saaz 10 mins 4.00
0.75 ozs 1.07 Styrian Goldings 2 mins 5.40
0.75 ozs 0.79 Saaz 2 mins 4.00

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
2.00 pkg French Saison Wyeast Labs 3711

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
1.00 oz Ginger 15 mins Boil
1.00 oz Lemongrass 15 mins Boil
1.00 oz Ginger 14 days Secondary
1.00 oz Lemongrass 14 days Secondary

Mash Profile
(none)

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
2.98 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 74.0°F 1.90

Be careful with the lemongrass. It has a tendency to get very, very medicinal, and the ginger will make that flavor even worse.

FATC1TY said:
Be careful with the lemongrass. It has a tendency to get very, very medicinal, and the ginger will make that flavor even worse.

How do those amounts look? I was really just taking a shot in the dark.

i do a tarragon lemongrass saison and use half ounce of each max. lemongrass goes a long way. imo, it's better to start lighter and add more in secondary if you feel it needs it when you taste a sample.

I brewed a Saison with ginger and lemongrass earlier this fall. I added 4 grams of baby ginger and 1 blade of lemongrass with 15 minutes left in the boil. No one will try this beer and say "Ooh, ginger and lemongrass!" but with a Saison you don't want that. Spices in a saison should add subtle complexity without being distinguishable. Next time I use ginger and lemongrass I might double the amount of each, so I'd recommend going with 1/4 oz ginger and 1/8 oz lemongrass at most in the boil and adding more to the secondary if you like.

If u do decide to make that I wouldn't do the Ginger or lemongrass in the secondary. Those flavors will be strong enough without that. I've used both and if when ur done the boil let them steep for 10 more mins before u begin the cooling. Ull get more than enough flavor

How do those amounts look? I was really just taking a shot in the dark.

I'd hate to say how much, since I haven't actually myself used it in a recipe of my own.

I have, however, had it in plenty of beers, and I'll say.. some were great, and most were not good. I had a lemongrass DIPA once, that was so medicinal I couldn't even drink it. Tasted like crap, but had a nice aroma to it.

I wouldn't boil it myself. If I were to add it, I would at flame out when I start the chilling, or I would add it to secondary. Maybe .5oz at first, taste it, and see if it needs more time, or more lemongrass. You can always add more!

Back