Cigar smokers can you give a rookie some advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jsamp

Reaction score
I'm wanting advice on getting a cigar sampler pack. I'm not a smoker and somewhat recently picked up a $5 cigar simply out of curiosity. I thought is was really good and I actually enjoyed smoking it. I want to order a sampler pack online when I get paid on the 1st. I'm a little reluctant due to my lack of experience. Would the 2 below be good for a rookie like me? I dont really want to spend more than 30. Any you folks would recommend?

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/produc...R-ASSORTMENT/83088/sc/8380/c/8380/pc/8378.uts

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/produc...-TEN-SAMPLER/84586/sc/8379/c/8379/pc/8378.uts

Jsamp

Thompson has good cigars,
but I wouldn't smoke one while driving a car.
The links you posted do not suggest
The cigars that are the best.

If you have not smoked much before
A Partagus or strong one might be of a chore.

For you your first good cigar
Might I might suggest A Monte Christo?
It's like having a mighty pistol.
It cost a little bit, but if you smoke it,
Your lips will still be able to whistle.

My favorite are quite strong
Bolivar Fuerte.. thats my song.

You will have to find out for your self
Which little devil you're cigars all about.

Ya got to start somewhere, that's just how it goes,
Smoke them with your very best bro's!

I really like Fuente half chateau, Fuente short story and Romeo and Juliet reserva real robusto. They are all big ring (fat), relatively short and mild. Give one or all of these a try and I'm sure you will like them.

Check out JR Cigars on line. They have a great selection and a rather informative website.

I've moved to pipes lately, but I really enjoyed Fuentes when I first started. Not sure exactly what but it had a green band. Nice and light.

I always go for Romeo and Juliete, there not too price and good. My favorite i found are JFR cigars. I'm a noobie too but i've been finding some good cigar though i buy one at a time at the moment

If you want a nice light smoke, I suggest the Perdomo Champagnes 10th Anniversary to you.

Since, I can get them just about anywhere, I personally go with La Flor Dominicana's

PICs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

images.jpg

photo-1.jpg

I'd also recommend the Perdomo as a smooth smoke. They've changed recently and have been pushed down my order of favorites but there still good. I usually go with a stronger smoke as in Ghurka but I recently got into the Oliva "G" Tried the "O" but didn't prefer as much. cigarsinternational is another great site.

Do you remember which cigar you smoked? That would help provide some insight into what you might like.

A lot of new smokers start out with the Acid line by Drew Estates. These are flavored or infused cigars, almost all have sweetened tips. If you're looking to go the classic route, I would stick with cigars that are listed as being in the mild/medium range--most of these will have Connecticut wrappers and be lighter colored. Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur line is a great cigar for people just starting out. 5Vegas, Perdomo, Macanudo, and Casa Torano all make good mild cigars you can find in samplers on-line.

Size matters. For new smokers, I typically recommend something in the robusto or corona size. You can usually get through one of these in 45-60 minutes. Good especially if you aren't accustomed to nicotine.

Also, for on-line purchases, I avoid Thompson's. Check out Famous or Cigars International.

Good luck, cigars can be a slippery slope! I can point you in the direction of some good on-line resources, including a very robust & friendly forum for cigar smokers if you are interested.

Gerard

I'm a newb at smoking cigars. I've been smoking Curley Heads and have liked them. This past Sunday I smoked a Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino and liked it. I have an A-Fuente Gran Reserva that I'll smoke this coming weekend. Never tried this last one. Just something new.

- Destin

Do you remember which cigar you smoked? That would help provide some insight into what you might like.

A lot of new smokers start out with the Acid line by Drew Estates. These are flavored or infused cigars, almost all have sweetened tips. If you're looking to go the classic route, I would stick with cigars that are listed as being in the mild/medium range--most of these will have Connecticut wrappers and be lighter colored. Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur line is a great cigar for people just starting out. 5Vegas, Perdomo, Macanudo, and Casa Torano all make good mild cigars you can find in samplers on-line.

Size matters. For new smokers, I typically recommend something in the robusto or corona size. You can usually get through one of these in 45-60 minutes. Good especially if you aren't accustomed to nicotine.

Also, for on-line purchases, I avoid Thompson's. Check out Famous or Cigars International.

Good luck, cigars can be a slippery slope! I can point you in the direction of some good on-line resources, including a very robust & friendly forum for cigar smokers if you are interested.

Gerard

Please post up the forum.

Thanks,

- Destin

Like beer, the thing about cigars is it's all personal preference. I've smoked some good Cuban cigars, some really great Cuban cigars (and everybody knows those are the best - not always though)

Even some drug store cigars are pretty good. I'd stay away from Swisher Sweets unless you want to taste a sugary nasty cigar gunking up your mouth for a few days.

Thompsons has what looks like nice cigar deals you know, a bunch of cigars and a humidor to go with it. But quite honestly their cigars I've never found appealing. JR Cigars put out some very nice smokes. And as somebody already said here they'll give you a good discription of the cigar and their prices are reasonable. I found them pretty straight forward and honest and although I haven't smoked much these last few years I still have a humidor full of cigars that as long as I maintain, will wait for me until I feel like a good tasty smoke again.

If you're going to start smoking cigars you might want to get a decent humidor. But don't go to a cigar store or the mall and pick one up. Check out cheaphumidors.com. I've bought a couple from them. They provide a quality product that won't cost you hundreds of dollars. The most recent one I purchased. (Crap it wasn't recent - at least 5 years ago) has a round a 125 cigar capacity, the interior is lined with cedar, nice looking "gold" handles on the side, a lock and all the fixings inside. I think I paid around 65 bucks for it.

If you are new to smoking I would suggest you find your nearest cigar shop and stop in. They can help you find a cigar (or cigars) that will suit you.

In general, I would start with something short, fat and mild. Look for something from the Dominican Republic with @ a 50 ring gauge (easy draw and not as harsh) and a connecticut wrapper. Size wise, Robustos are always a good bet.

Brand wise, I agree with the recommendations for Romeo y Julieta - great line. You can also try anything in the Casa Blanca line (all mild and lower cost).

Personally, I cut my cigar teeth almost exclusively on Arturo Fuente 8-5-8's. Still like to smoke them even now. Also recommend the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story - great small smoke.

If all else fails, try the Macanudo line (great mild, entry level cigars).

Good luck and enjoy your smoke.

My first stick was a Romeo Y julieta,. Then I tried out numerous house brands from the likes of famous, CI, and cigars. Found out I like Nicaragua cigars. Which lead me to anything by Oliva. The Connecticut reserve is to mild for my taste but good non the less. I prefer my sticks with more bite, I love the oliva V's, and the Cain F's

My first stick was a Romeo Y julieta,. Then I tried out numerous house brands from the likes of famous, CI, and cigars. Found out I like Nicaragua cigars. Which lead me to anything by Oliva. The Connecticut reserve is to mild for my taste but good non the less. I prefer my sticks with more bite, I love the oliva V's, and the Cain F's

Mumbly,

If you like a good hearty cigar here is a great one IMHO. The discription is perfect, not misleading at all. Of course if you already found a favorite then like me you probably won't switch out.

I just get jazzed about cigars and it's nice to share. I'm going to look up your Oliva V's right after I post this. http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemlist/catid=56/BOLIVAR-COFRADIA.html

Edit: For anybody looking for a nicely crafted humidor that you don't have to break the bank on, check out these guys. I've bought a few from them and they are excellent quality. Don't let the name fool you, these are nice. http://www.cheaphumidors.com/c_medium-humidors.html

Dan said:
Mumbly,

If you like a good hearty cigar here is a great one IMHO. The discription is perfect, not misleading at all. Of course if you already found a favorite then like me you probably won't switch out.

I just get jazzed about cigars and it's nice to share. I'm going to look up your Oliva V's right after I post this. http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemlist/catid=56/BOLIVAR-COFRADIA.html

Dan if you've never had a V you don't know what your missing, they are flavorful but not overwhelming. Next time it com to getting so smokes I will have to pick some of those bolivars up

I don't think you'll be disappointed. They are a bit strong but man I just love them.

I read up on those Oliva V's and they sound delicious! What site do you order them from? The one i went to, googled it, just described the cigars but i didn't see a place to buy them. I'm sure there was but i missed it somehow.

Best price on them that I found is Atlantic cigar. This was my first time ordering from them, and the box will arrive on Friday. For a box of 12 double robusta tubos, was 74 to my door. Other then that, keep your eye on the monster, every couple of days a 5 pack will show up on the mash up, with free shipping

Best price on them that I found is Atlantic cigar. This was my first time ordering from them, and the box will arrive on Friday. For a box of 12 double robusta tubos, was 74 to my door. Other then that, keep your eye on the monster, every couple of days a 5 pack will show up on the mash up, with free shipping

Thanks Mumbly I'm going to certainly check Atlantic out. To be honest I haven't smoked much in the last year or so. Right now I have a handful of the Bolivar Confradia coronas and quite a few Romeo and Juliet 1875 Reserves.

The R&J's were a steal, almost litteraly. I did something bad, bad karma and wish I wouldn't have but I did. I went to the local PX on the military base I work at and they advertised a box 25 of them for 7 bucks. I picked it up, took to the cash register and they had to honor the price. It was an effed up thing to do and they aren't even that tasty to me. I think about the same time I bought them I took a hiatus from smoking. :eek:

Dan said:
Thanks Mumbly I'm going to certainly check Atlantic out. To be honest I haven't smoked much in the last year or so. Right now I have a handful of the Bolivar Confradia coronas and quite a few Romeo and Juliet 1875 Reserves.

The R&J's were a steal, almost litteraly. I did something bad, bad karma and wish I wouldn't have but I did. I went to the local PX on the military base I work at and they advertised a box 25 of them for 7 bucks. I picked it up, took to the cash register and they had to honor the price. It was an effed up thing to do and they aren't even that tasty to me. I think about the same time I bought them I took a hiatus from smoking. :eek:

Don't feel bad I haven't smoked much in the past year either, started craving them V's and nothing in the humi met my needs. Doesn't help that I've been a good boy trying to pay off them depts.

I think we're both going to have to reward ourself and smoke our favorite soon. Here's to our next cigar my friend! :mug:

Please post up the forum.

Thanks,

- Destin

Destin, here ya go:

www.cigarasylum.com

Lots of good information on the cigar hobby and is filled with awesome members

I read up on those Oliva V's and they sound delicious! What site do you order them from? The one i went to, googled it, just described the cigars but i didn't see a place to buy them. I'm sure there was but i missed it somehow.

My favorite vitola in the Oliva V is the lancero, it's a great smoke

I'm wanting advice on getting a cigar sampler pack. I'm not a smoker and somewhat recently picked up a $5 cigar simply out of curiosity. I thought is was really good and I actually enjoyed smoking it. I want to order a sampler pack online when I get paid on the 1st. I'm a little reluctant due to my lack of experience. Would the 2 below be good for a rookie like me? I dont really want to spend more than 30. Any you folks would recommend?

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/produc...R-ASSORTMENT/83088/sc/8380/c/8380/pc/8378.uts

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/produc...-TEN-SAMPLER/84586/sc/8379/c/8379/pc/8378.uts

While I actually quit smoking a few years ago, I used to enjoy a good cigar now & again. IMHO, you simply cannot go wrong with anything from Arturo Fuentes or Partagas. Best cigar I ever had was from Partagas, the wrapper was aged 18 yrs. <sigh> That was a damned FINE smoke, problem was it was a $20.00 cigar & wasn't sold by the box.

I always enjoyed the Romeo y Julietta from Fuentes, though the 8-5-8 was a good, smooth smoke too; but the best I ever had from Fuentes was the Hemingway Signature. It's pricey, but when I was still smoking, I thought it was worth it.

I only ever smoked a cigar when I could sit down & relax, usually with a drink at my elbow. My fav time/place to smoke a cigar or a pipe was either the back porch/deck on a warm summer night, or in front of the fireplace (with a fire going of course) on a cold winter night.

Hope this info helps.
Regards, GF.

mjdonnelly68 said:
If all else fails, try the Macanudo line (great mild, entry level cigars).

This. Its what i started on.

And when you figure out you like cigars and like more flavor my favorite is a Hoyo de Monterey double maduro.

Do you guys recommend a newbie to buy a sampler pack to discover what they like or to buy off specific recommendations like mentioned in this thread?

I kinda thought I would buy singletons to try from my local shop and maybe get my favs online....

Sample packs are a good choice as long as they provide variety. Find one you like, it might take awhile but once you find a favorite itwill be yours. If I gave you my favorite cigar which I think is the best on the market for flavor and for the price. You might think its terrible and expensive. Just start smoking them and you'll decide which is the best for you! One financial piece of advice.. Just because a cigar cost 15 dollars doesn't mean it is good. You will find in time that great cigars will cost a few dollars and a box of them won't beak the bank. A high dollar cigar? Not worth it in my humble experience.

I like the perdomo's, Fuentes short stories are awesome, my personal favorite cigar for a decent price is the padron 3000 maduros.

For light smokes try a macanudo

Airborne you're really making me want to break into my humidor right now!

Man I wish! I had one yesterday and the day before, so today I really would rather not. As a former cigarette smoker, I really try to limit how many cigars I smoke. In the winter, I barely have any. It doesn't help that my new Lt smokes one every day!

:off:

Airborne!

- You know my friend I gotta admit I just don't smoke many cigars anymore. When I was in the military cigar smoking was, I don't know, a great little celebration at the end of an accomplishment. A great way to end a day in the comaraderie of good friends and good beer but there wasn't always beer. (not by choice, 5th Fleet orders -and it sucked)

Not really getting that feeling so much now that I have retired. But all is not lost, occasionally get together with some old friends and talk up glory days, drink a few beers and smoke a good stogie)

Sounds like you're still in those great days. Smoke em while you got em! :mug:

Back