Olympics- Opening Ceremony

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just me or is it LONG and boring? Boring, beyond anything I've ever seen.

They are trying to "hip it up" by some sort of romance story and appeal to the ADD young people audience, but on TV it doesn't translate and it's just a big TV screen on my TV with blips of music.

AT least, so far anyway. But it's beyond slow moving and boring to me.

Is it just me or is it LONG and boring? Boring, beyond anything I've ever seen.

It's not just you. This thing is a snooze-fest..... and I'd like to reach through my TV and put duct tape over Matt & Meredith's mouths... LOL!

So far the only thing I found remotely entertaining was the creative bit with the arrival of the Queen.

How many more hours of this are left.....

It's not just you.
So far the only thing I found remotely entertaining was the creative bit with the arrival of the Queen.

Oh, and when the national anthem was sung. With the handicapped kids singing "God Save the Queen" to the Queen, it was a beautiful moment.

But I'm not a fan of David Beckman driving a boat up the Thames, or the weird long involved love story play. Of course, I have HBT to entertain me.

Oh, and when the national anthem was sung. With the handicapped kids singing "God Save the Queen" to the Queen, it was a beautiful moment.

But I'm not a fan of David Beckman driving a boat up the Thames, or the weird long involved love story play. Of course, I have HBT to entertain me.

Yeah... I've been sticking it out because I was dying to know who would light the torch. I don't think I can take much more of this so I just googled it and it's totally disappointing IMO.

I suppose I'll leave it on in the background while I do the dishes and some laundry.

I agree.

but you gotta admit, it was really pretty dumb. Of course, I'm pretty juvenile myself, so I did smile.

It was horribly dumb! Everything he does is horribly dumb! But like you, it made me smile. and that, unfortunately, was enough to elevate it to one of the best parts of the opening ceremony so far.

Yeah... I've been sticking it out because I was dying to know who would light the torch. I don't think I can take much more of this so I just googled it and it's totally disappointing IMO.

I suppose I'll leave it on in the background while I do the dishes and some laundry.

Ok, you made me curious and I googled it, too. I really thought it would be one person, and someone like Roger Bannister.

I'm going to bed, with a good book.

It was horribly dumb! Everything he does is horribly dumb! But like you, it made me smile. and that, unfortunately, was enough to elevate it to one of the best parts of the opening ceremony so far.

And I love British humor, and I still crack up at Benny Hill. So, it was a very British skit and I did smile.

But the rest is a major yawn. I don't like watching TV on TV, so that whole long music play was terrible. I LOVE the whole history of British music idea, but the implementation was boring, disjointed, and uninventive.

Yawn.

Did you all hear there is a woman from Malaysia who is shooting in the 10 meter air rifle competition..... and she's 8 months pregnant! I can't wait to watch her compete.... YOU GO GIRL!

Did you all hear there is a woman from Malaysia who is shooting in the 10 meter air rifle competition..... and she's 8 months pregnant! I can't wait to watch her compete.... YOU GO GIRL!

Oh, I don't think that's all that impressive.

When I was 8 months pregnant, I would have shot anybody for any reason at all. I didn't need the stinkin' Olympics as an excuse. :D:D

Oh, I don't think that's all that impressive.

When I was 8 months pregnant, I would have shot anybody for any reason at all. I didn't need the stinkin' Olympics as an excuse. :D:D

But that's the impressive thing. She's going to have a gun and a bunch of people around, but she's not allowed to shoot any of them.

First...the summer olympics bore me anyway. But I managed to watch 30 minutes of the opening ceremonies......and I hate my self for watching it. I have no idea what I watched or what they were trying to do. Its the beginning of a sporting event.....not the friggin Macy's Day Parade. In my opinion.......simply horrible.

Wow... celebrating the industrial revolution? Do they mean the arrogant corruption, exploitation, and indenture of it's population along with some of the worst living conditions, pollution, and disease?? I didn't see how that related to the Olympics. Sir Paul looked like the people I see working in some of the "health food" stores. His white skin color looked horrible, or unhealthy at best. The use of cellphones as they came into the stadium made them look tacky at best from a "CEREMONY" point of view. It felt more like a High School pep rally or more about England than the Olympic Games. Less than impressed, just my opinion.

Long and boring is right. The whole time I was watching it, I was fast forwarding and simultaneously thinking how many children's lives could be saved with the money they wasted on the ceremony. If they really wanted to celebrate "children", then I would have much rather enjoyed seeing someone come out and say, "This year, we're skipping all the stupid theatrics and donating the $10 million that would have been poorly spent on X children's charity". Now, there's a thought!!

But hey... people have to be entertained!! (I guess) :/ ...by Kenneth Branagh in a top hat ~ aka Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter

On a side note, ROTFLMAO...

376305_500235740005884_785469768_n.jpg

I watched it on fast forward and fell asleep.

I wonder if the commentators realized they sounded like the biggest tools ever or if they thought it was actually interesting.

Opening Ceremony drinking game:
Drink every time you thought America invented it.

Well, while American history is censored by a bunch of wingnuts on the Texas Board of Education, there will always be a lot of drunk Americans while that game is being played. ;)

I always thought these ceremonies were supposed to be boring, at least they are to me. That includes the Chinese flash mob.

See I was hoping they would have gone with a Monty Python theme, let Eric Idle do the whole thing... instead they use that terribly not-funny guy for their comedian... I didn't like the Mary Poppin's... or as Golum would say, 'The Mary Poppinses'... and the creepy bed scene with all the scared kids... then at the end of that they had that giant sleeping baby looked like it was being consumed by caterpillars... The whole teen angst theme went over my drunken 50+ head but I did like the pretty lights and stuff at the end ;p
I would have liked to see all the surviving brit rock bands there live instead of tiny pieces of their songs along the way too... oh well.. At least that zillion dollar half time show is over, now let's see who can start an international controversy..

It was like an unusually awful Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade only held in London. I spent an equal amount of time muting it and fast forwarding it.

You all must admit, even though it was fairly boring and I agree that such a spectacle has no business being an Olympic Opening Ceremony, it was pretty interesting how they put it all together. I mean, just the sheer mechanics and coordination were impressive. Some of it was entertaining to me, but I ended up getting up and finding something else to do after a bit.

I guess I didn't think "Ceremony" and much as "Comedy Routine".

We watched most of it, because the_Bean wanted to see it. The whole bit with the doctors and the sick kids and their nightmares, was very Pink Floyd-ey. I did like that the ceremony closed with "Dark Side". Apparently there was a little bit of Sex Pistols that wasn't broadcast in the U.S., as well as a girl-girl kiss; the joke was that NBC was broadcasting the ceremony on a 50-year delay. Kept waiting for hobbits to show up, too, although apparently the whole transformation from the pastoral setting to the industrial setting was supposed to *invoke* Tokkien; I still wanted some goddamn hobbits.

I watched it till I couldn't take it any more.

I just kept shaking my head and it was making me dizzy.

We watched most of it, because the_Bean wanted to see it. The whole bit with the doctors and the sick kids and their nightmares, was very Pink Floyd-ey. I did like that the ceremony closed with "Dark Side". Apparently there was a little bit of Sex Pistols that wasn't broadcast in the U.S., as well as a girl-girl kiss; the joke was that NBC was broadcasting the ceremony on a 50-year delay. Kept waiting for hobbits to show up, too, although apparently the whole transformation from the pastoral setting to the industrial setting was supposed to *invoke* Tokkien; I still wanted some goddamn hobbits.

I noticed a brief clip of the sex pistols during the intro animation that was following the River Thames

Huh. Obviously I'm alone here, but I liked it. I watched the whole thing (except the commercials, but including the parade of nations). Admittedly the parade of nations gets tedious, but this was far less so that most opening ceremonies. I do like a lot of British TV (Fawlty Towers, the IT Crowd, Father Ted, etc.) but even so, this was far far superior to the Opening Ceremony in Beijing. Just my opinion.

You were expecting something from the U.K. (other than Monty Python) to be anything other than boring?

I haven't watched any of the Olympics at all this year.

I did enjoy the Bond/Queen footage and definitely got a kick out of the "pair" parachuting out of a helicopter over the stadium. I didn't think the ceremonies were so bad but they did confusing especially towards the end. I also HATE Twitter/Social Media and think Ryan Seacrest has no place, NO PLACE, in Olympics sports coverage. :)

Latest posts

Back