The Original, Hullababrewery... Our first effort with a 2-Tier Stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay, I've been on these forums over a year now without a question or picture post, so I wreckin' it's a good time to finally get my (our) first build pictures and story up here. We started brewing in Dec. of 2010 with our first cut open keg shell and extract kit from Austin Homebrew. The game has changed quite a bit since then, now with a 2-tier All-Grain brewstand.

To get us started, here are some photo's of the actual stand build.
We choose to make this first stand wood. This was for several reasons, one, since we had never built one before, we figured this would be this easiest medium to make changes to, two, none of us owned a welder at the time of construction, and three cost, plain and simple.

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0022.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0031.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

I honestly couldn't tell you what pound test those casters were, but I know I wasn't 100% on them based on looks alone, another one of our group (engineer, left) assured me they would be fine. To date, never had any issues with them and they roll great when needed.

We did need to test the weight capabilities, so...

Initially mounted the pump directly under the table top surface. We knew little about the pumps, but apparently they do not like to be mounted with this orientation. Since we had already cost our silicone hose, and there wasn't much room to spare we ended up making a U-shaped bracket out of 2x4's to mount the pump 180 degrees. I have since been told that we could have just rotated the pump head. We didn't know that at the time of build and just went with it, our solution works fine for now.

IMAG0033.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

Man... you trying to grow a bowling ball tree?

Nice work BTW... That is a pretty long span for 2x4 lumber. May thing about adding a set of casters at the other set of legs. Or... move the existing casters and cantilever the lower platform.

EDIT**** Nevermind... Wow.

I apologize too, as I do not know how to insert text between my pictures, if someone could fill me in, that would be great.. ha

But here is some work on our keggles and other stainless fun.

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

False bottom fun... So we weren't satisfied with typical solutions for a false bottom in a keggle, so we made our own. It's a full 15" diameter stainless FB that is hinged (hinge and screws stainless). Again, this is yet another example of why having an engineering buddy in college proves valuable.

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

Haha...I knew someone would say something about the bowling ball when I uploaded these. I'm an avid bowler personally, one of my old roommates found that ball on the side of the highway here in town and thought I would like/want it for some reason, ha.. So, it is now the backyard bowling ball, the dogs don't find it very entertaining so I guess it wound up there, ah.

Some more pictures...
So my engineering friend graduated and got him a big boy job in the petroleum industry in Houston, way to go Stephen! With that gave him the ability to use some of their pipe bending equipment in their shop for me and we got this really awesome sparge arm. He bent two different length down tubes, one for 5 gallon, the other for 10 gallon batches, I know not necessary, but it's pretty cool. The 10 gallon batch attachment is not pictured.

IMAG0095.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

So not pictured with the false bottom are 4 feet we made for weight support, I'll get a picture of that on here sooner then later, not sure if it's needed, but it's nice to know that they're there and that it won't collapse.

This brew stand in this condition has gone through 10 or so brew sessions. It's about time for some change!

I have already ordered and have been getting in parts for a HERMS coil to be placed in the HLT. So within the next few weeks that will be installed.

After that...it's time for sight glasses. That's another item that we've had issues with. Many of the available sight glass options don't seem to meet the standards that they should be required to meet minimally, so thought's of our own fabrication of that have come up. Although, currently I like what MoreBeer is offering. Any suggestions on this? I'll be honest and admit I have not yet searched the forums on this topic.

Hah, I've tried to take clean pictures! But thanks for the positive marks. I've received most of the hardware for the HERMS coil as far as valves and connections. I placed the order yesterday for the 50' SS coil, so the only thing I think I still have let to order is a few more cam lock fittings for the new ports and hoses.

Also after reading many reviews on sight glasses, I decided to go with Bobby_M's, I believe his username is, at www.Brewhardware.com. So I have ordered 3 of these to mount to each of the keggles.

Some construction Pics soon to follow...

Nice build, I am doing the same design but with steel. Can't wait to see your HERMS addition.
I also use the sight glasses from Bobby-m, nice stuff

Can you tell me what your dimensions are? I'm going to start my build this weekend and I think I am going to base it off of yours.

Simply put like you said: cost and the medium is easy to change. When I have extra cash I can grab another pump, level the stand off, and eventually go full electric.

Also what type of screws, lumber, etc did you use?

I really like your build it looks clean and simple.

I sure can, but I'm actually in Dallas for a few days, I should be back sometime Thursday, so I'll try and remember to get back on with all of that info.

Exactly, there were/still are so many other things that I'd like to focus and spend my money on (like, the beer) rather than some welded up stand I knew I'd have to change. I'm already fairly committed to a second pump, just trying to wait patiently for Chugger to get those pumps in!

Also what type of screws, lumber, etc did you use?

Again, I don't want to misspeak about that, so I should probably get back to you on Thursday/Friday. I know the screws were typical decking quality, I want to say we used primarily 2 1/2" but I'm not 100%.

Awesome Thanks!!

And me too. Im getting impatient lol. Does anyone know when Chugger will have them back instock?

Nice build. I don't think it will have any problem holding up under the weight. Two full kegs would something in the neighborhood of 300 lbs and you have two guys sitting on the top. Nice rings by the way.

Gig'Em!

Kellan
c/o 2007

Terribly sorry I haven't gotten back, but it has been a crazy last few weeks. Company got bought out, I got laid off, so looks like I'm going to be relocating to Dallas permanently. No pity party for me, I have work up here, ha.

That said, I haven't been back down to my house there in College Station, where the Hullababrewery resides currently, I apologize!

Good news however, I have received my sight glasses from Bobby_M as well as my stainless HERMS coil! I am hoping to get back down there Monday or Tuesday, I am rapidly running out of clothes to wear, and I'm sure my lawn needs attention by now, ha! So when that happens I will definitely get those dimensions and materials posted, as well as a few new pictures!

Okay, finally got back home for a few days and am able to brew!

Did some measuring on the stand itself, the overall dimensions are 6'x2'. The top level is 4'x2' and the height comes out to 20 3/4". Pretty simple design really, didn't take us more than a few hours to assemble. One thing I am going to change is how the pump is mounted. I want it positioned vertically so that the inlet it facing down. I have problems every time I brew with priming, and KEEPING the prime especially. I have heard that this should/might help alleviate some of those issues from what I've read on here.

Sorry no pictures today! I only have time to brew before I head back to Dallas, but I'm thinking I'll bring my keggles with me to do some work on them...

Time for a little update on my progress. I have re-coiled my 50' SS HERMS coil to just under 11" diameter. To pay homage, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/50-foot-1-2-inch-ss-coil-300138/ As this contraption was not my brain child whatsoever. Very good thread with many different ideas on how to get that done. I have a local pipe and hose place here in Lewisville that says they can put a 90 degree bend on each end of the coil (I've already purchased two straight compression fittings) for $10 or a little homebrew (haha, it worked!). So I'm going to leave that to them, I think they'll be impressed by my coiling, they didn't have anything to do it, and wasn't sure what the best way would be, but wished me luck.

IMAG0174.jpg

IMAG0176.jpg

photo.jpg

photo(3).jpg

IMAG0178.jpg

Back