British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It FINISHED at 1.055? That seems like it didn't even start to ferment ;) I have read a few recipes that used real pecans and the key seems to be to roast them a few times, wicking away the oil with each step using paper bags.

It FINISHED at 1.055? That seems like it didn't even start to ferment ;) I have read a few recipes that used real pecans and the key seems to be to roast them a few times, wicking away the oil with each step using paper bags.

Typo on my part. Should have said 1.005.

I've never worked with any fat in a brew, so I'm not sure. Just did a bit of research when considering brewing up a pecan pie porter clone (Clown Shoes). The folks at Clown Shoes say they use flavoring vs. using actual pecans.

My version of this recipe took about 3 weeks to get to FG. OG was 1.060. I used the Wyeast 1469 yeast. I don't think I airated the wort well enough, it was slow to start, and never really blew the top off the fermenter like I was expecting it would. Still, what I put in the bottles tasted pretty good (it's fairly dry, but has a nice toasty quality about it).

after 3 weeks in the keg, this beer is really tasty. i find its very balanced between the chocolate and caramel tastes. i wish mine would clear up though, its still as cloudy as day 1 and i cold crashed before transfer too. i think the next batch i do, i'm going to do natural carbing with some priming sugar in the keg, and just let it sit for a while.

but everyone loves this beer, even though its cloudy. its got a nice buzz too as mine came in at about 5% abv, and its so drinkable you don't really realize how much you've had until your light headed..

is this a pretty light nut brown? the ones i did in the past seem way darker then this....this looks like a amber to me...

Tasted the first bottle on Friday. Mine turned out pretty dark, but WOW is it GOOD!! I got a bit more minerally quality out of the yeast, but it tastes fantastic and is spot on for a nut brown ale. It's only been in the bottle 2 weeks (and already carbed up enough to drink). Another few weeks in the bottle and I'll be ready to hand this out to friends.

Great recipe! Will definitely brew this again.

I brewed this a few weeks ago but I subed Liberty and crystal hops, put in the keg yesterday and its gonna ned to sit a few day but seems delicious so far. The only problem I had was the first pouch of nottingham was bad..

I just brewed a (extract partial grain) Nut Brown yesterday that is based off of Dragon's Milk Brown Ale. I have that book of 250 recipes from BYO and it looked like a good Brown. posted: http://hopville.com/recipe/1138839/american-brown-ale-recipes/oak-grove-nut-brown-ale at Hopville. I was tweaking grain content for a 6.5 gallon batch and I think it may have gone a little bit Imperial and was wondering about doing less or no roast barley and subbing in oats. I think this substitution would work for the style of beer and the alcohol content of 7.1.

comments appreciated, thanks in advance.

I brewed a batch of this last May and it turned out pretty good so, I brewed another batch of it last week. Last time I used Nottingham. This time I used Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast. Two more weeks until I tap it...

I've had this recipe bookmarked for awhile

Just got in some Texas Pecan Roasted Coffee. Might be a perfect base for a Coffee Brown Ale

Thoughts

Been searching this thread but couldnt find how long to wait from grain to glass? I dont do secondaries. Usually leave it on the yeast for 3 weeks then bottle. How long in the bottle?

Bombeque said:
Been searching this thread but couldnt find how long to wait from grain to glass? I dont do secondaries. Usually leave it on the yeast for 3 weeks then bottle. How long in the bottle?

Most beers take 3 weeks at 70 degrees in the bottle. Pretty standard.

6891387297_a1da01315d_b.jpg

This is my take on this recipe! I used
Grains: Viking Pale Ale, Viking Crystal 100, biscuit malt and chocolate malt.
Hops: Fuggles and East Kent Goldings
Yeast: Safale US-05

I have some problem with the carbonation but the taste is awesome!

Brewed this up last night exactly as the recipe reads. This is the first time using Nottingham and I'm excited to see how it turns out. Been using wyeast 1056 to substitute in other recipes (just because that was the closest thing the lhbs had), can I wash and reuse this yeast like liquid yeasts? I'd really like to rebrew some of those beers with the proper yeast.

Brewed this up last night exactly as the recipe reads. This is the first time using Nottingham and I'm excited to see how it turns out. Been using wyeast 1056 to substitute in other recipes (just because that was the closest thing the lhbs had), can I wash and reuse this yeast like liquid yeasts? I'd really like to rebrew some of those beers with the proper yeast.

You can wash and re-use any yeast. However, for something like Nottingham, I'd probably just order a bunch of it online before I'd go through the trouble of washing/reusing it.

dummkauf said:
You can wash and re-use any yeast. However, for something like Nottingham, I'd probably just order a bunch of it online before I'd go through the trouble of washing/reusing it.

I had heard its not great to reuse wine yeast (from apple wine) as it gets odd flavors very quickly, wasn't sure if all dry yeast was like that or not.

I know 4 bucks isn't a lot for yeast, but if all I have to boil some water and dump it on a cake to get 4 batches of yeast... ill take it.

OMG! This is SO good! I added a few too many oats (didn't measure.) And, I added 4 ounces too many chocolate malt.
And, I added about 4 ounces of maltodextrin.
I sampled it today after 1 week in the secondary. It's nutty... wow!
Any reason why I should wait another week to bottle?

Brewed this up today exactly as the recipe states. I missed the mash temp. I started at 152 and finished at 150. I don't think this will make a big deal on the finished beer. The mash had the most wonderful nutty flavor and aroma. Which grain/grains give it that nuttiness? I'm excited about this one!

skimble said:
OMG! This is SO good! I added a few too many oats (didn't measure.) And, I added 4 ounces too many chocolate malt.
And, I added about 4 ounces of maltodextrin.
I sampled it today after 1 week in the secondary. It's nutty... wow!
Any reason why I should wait another week to bottle?

Hey Skimble, I'm not sure if anyone ever answered your question. I would definitely take a hydrometer reading before bottling any beer. Early on, I made and bottled a beer without making sure it had finished fermenting. The first couple I opened were gushers. A couple of weeks later, I had a bunch of glass grenades. A buddy came over, and we had to drop them one by one into a 55 gallon drum he used to burn trash. They would literally explode when they hit the bottom. It was a beer that I had added honey to, but, I'm always careful after that experience. An unusual experience, I'm sure, but a little caution never hurts. YMMV, as always.

I'm on my second keg of this. Brewed one with wlp008 east coast ale and one with notty. I really like both of them. I pick up a little more of the nutty and silky in the notty batch. I guess my vote goes to the notty. Great recipe lil sparky!:rockin:

I wanted to chime in,

This is my first AG batch. I brewed this on Saturday night finally getting the batch into the fermentor at 1:30AM EDT Sunday morning. I pitched in some washed Nottingham yeast from a previous batch of Brewers Best Red Ale i had racked earlier that day into secondary. By the time i woke up ~8am and checked, the fermentor was bubbling nicely with a wonderful aroma.

A few questions: When I sparged with ~170dF water my temp probe said 205dF in my Igloo 5gal TUN. Is that right? I think I need a new temperature sensor. Also, my OG was 1.0645 corrected to 59 dF when I pitched making my effeciency 83%. Is that possible? If so, maybe next time I'll only use 8# 2-row.

I'm excited to drink this one...

ChrisN812

Ill be doing a version of this

8.5lbs marris otter
.5lb toasted otter (sub for victory
.25lb chocolate rye
1lb flaked oats
1lb crystal 80
1oz williamette 60
1oz ekg 15

Any thoughts?

Ill be doing a version of this

8.5lbs marris otter
.5lb toasted otter (sub for victory
.25lb chocolate rye
1lb flaked oats
1lb crystal 80
1oz williamette 60
1oz ekg 15

Any thoughts?

BTW this is what I have on hand, the only reason I made this one up..

Picked up ingredients for this today for a brew day tomorrow. Looks delicious! This will be a celebration brew for my Brother's 40th in June.

Wanted to say thank you Sparky for the great recipe. I kegged this one last night and the glass I stole out of the rack was fantastic without any carb in it. Can't wait for this to carb up, it won't last long. I'm going to have to make another batch of this soon as I know it won't last long. Yum.

Question: Do other ale yeasts have different finishing FGs? Everything I've brewed so far I've used Nottingham (washed yeast, 2nd generation). It always seems to finish at 1.012.

ChrisN812
Primary: Nothing :(
Secondary 1: Nothing :(
Secondary 2: Nothing :(
Keg 1: Brewers Best Red Ale 1.054-1.012
Keg 2: Sparky's Nut Brown Ale 1.062-1.012

WOW that Notty Ale Yeast works fast! SG went from 1.056 to 1.014 in four days! I really thought the fermentation had stuck when the krausen fell after such a short time. I'll take the gravity a couple more times over the next week to see if it's truly done; the trick is going to be finding time to bottle in the next 2 weeks! Though I guess it won't hurt it at all to stay in primary and clean up for three weeks, as all my other beers have.

I brewed a 3 gallon batch of this a bit over a week ago. Used biab method and I ended up with an OG of 1.080 which I attribute to boil losses. Anyway, topped up to 1.055 and it has been sitting at 60 degrees F.

Interestingly, I have white specs on the top of the beer. Hoping that's just yeast or something and it will clear later.

Thinking of bottling it around two weeks in fermenter.

Took a gravity reading, 1.012 on the nose. But there are some white flecks floating on the surface of the brew. Anybody else see something like this?

I wanted to chime in,

This is my first AG batch. I brewed this on Saturday night finally getting the batch into the fermentor at 1:30AM EDT Sunday morning. I pitched in some washed Nottingham yeast from a previous batch of Brewers Best Red Ale i had racked earlier that day into secondary. By the time i woke up ~8am and checked, the fermentor was bubbling nicely with a wonderful aroma.

A few questions: When I sparged with ~170dF water my temp probe said 205dF in my Igloo 5gal TUN. Is that right? I think I need a new temperature sensor. Also, my OG was 1.0645 corrected to 59 dF when I pitched making my effeciency 83%. Is that possible? If so, maybe next time I'll only use 8# 2-row.

I'm excited to drink this one...

ChrisN812
Re: 205dF in your mash tun.. I question your thermometer.. Can you or have you calibrated it recently? Calibration is easy with some boiling water.. it should read 212 dF at boil (unless you live in Denver) If yours can't be calibrated I'd think about replacing it with one that can be. With regards to your efficiency.. :rockin: :ban: Sounds like you might have accidently pulled off a mashout with that high grain bed temp reading. A mashout will definitely raise your efficiency. A mashout is where you raise your mash temp at the end of the mash to around 160-165 dF. In your situation, rather than adding more hot water to raise your temp, try drawing off some of the mash liquid and heating to a boil then return it to the mash, before you set your grain bed with a recirculation step. This will take a little experimenting to get it dialed in, but it’s worth the effort. This will help to liquefy the sugars you just converted and aid in you sparge, thus raising your sparge efficiency. You are right with your comment of using less grain to get the same OG results. You didn’t say what your target OG was so I’m assuming it was lower than the 1:065 you ended up with. However, as I always say… Good beer begins at 1:060!

Good luck with your batch. Keep the faith.

Just bottled my half batch of this. Tastes like it has some real potential.

We'll see in three weeks.

I made this verbatim to the original recipe and just transferred to the secondary after 14 days. I am going to leave this for another week or two before kegging but I can't imagine it improving much in flavor. I am sure I'll make this one again.

Gotta give props where props are due. I made this 3 months Ago and entered it in my first competition today. Text from the owner of the beer garden. ....... The certified beer judge awarded your nut brown 2nd place in the specialty category out of 37 homebrews. Congratulations on a great beer. You can pick up your medal when you get a chance.

Gotta give props where props are due. I made this 3 months Ago and entered it in my first competition today. Text from the owner of the beer garden. ....... The certified beer judge awarded your nut brown 2nd place in the specialty category out of 37 homebrews. Congratulations on a great beer. You can pick up your medal when you get a chance.
Sweet! Well done!

This is my first post here. I just had to acknowledge this recipe; one of the tastiest brew I ever made. Thanks Sparky.

Just bought all the grain and hops today! Gonna rock it out this weekend. I will post the results as soon as the brew is frosty!

Thanks for the recipie...

Taco :D

Just got all of my ingredients for this and will be brewing it up on Saturday afternoon. Looking forward to it!

Brewed this on Sunday, got a OG of 1.060, little high, reading today is 1.014. Tastes great already. Thanks for the great recipe.

Back