25' vs 50' IC (again?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgoette

Reaction score
Hey, I know I've seen a couple threads with people asking the question, but I wanted to get a definitive (maybe?) answer

is 25' or 50' IC better for 5 gal batches? 10 gal batches?

the reason i ask is because I have come by the chance to buy 30' of 3/8" copper tubing for $20. i believe that is quite inexpensive by today's market.

With that price on 30' I'd grab at least one coil and make an IC from it... Where did you see the good price on 30'??

BTW, I used 20' to make my IC and it does a nice job on my 5 gallon batches... I plan on making another out of 50' just to cool the wort faster. Plus, I'll be ready for 10 gallon batches.

I have a 50' Ribcage IC that I just built with a 25' pre-chiller (old IC) for my 5 gal batches. Overkill yes! But damn does it chill my wort fast.

You really have to take into consideration your locale. Denver, San Francisco - I have to assume the water is coming out of the ground pretty cold year round. Here in South Texas, I run 2, 50' chillers; one as a pre-chiller and on as an immersion. In the summer, I am pushing to get below 80.

Back