New Keg lines taste like S***?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
In my kegerator, I have finally noticed that whatever beer is sitting in the lines tastes like pure plastic sh*t. It's extremely noticeable -- even if I pour off half a pint of the beer, it's completely gone for the rest of the beer that night.

Does this ever go away? Any way to get rid of that flavor?

Thats weird, I really didnt have that issue with my new lines. I just ran starsan through mine. I am sure that it will eventually go away. If you really want to make sure, unhook everything and run HOT water through the lines, cool them, starsan just to be safe and hook everything back up. It will help to pull that plastic taste out a lot faster I would imagine, I have just never had to deal with it. Otherwise I am sure time will cure the line of their poor taste.

I just reconditioned all my kegs, I use perlick faucets, and 3/16 superflex beer line from MoreBeer.

The only other factor I can see here would be if some of my keg lube go into the lines a little bit -- but I don't know what that could be from. I think I'll try flushing with hot Water, Line Cleaner, and StarSan again and hope it's gone. I want my beer to taste good, damn it!

Get some hot BLC and let it sit in the lines for about 30 minutes before flushing with more hot water. I'd bet that will take care of it.

You keg lube should be a food grade tasteless lube. Not going to be the culprit.
This problem could go away over time as the Line's "wear in". Or could be bad tubing.
I remember discussion about bad tubing before causing this problem. it may have actaully been from MoreBeer. Don't quote me though.

I just reconditioned all my kegs, I use perlick faucets, and 3/16 superflex beer line from MoreBeer.

The only other factor I can see here would be if some of my keg lube go into the lines a little bit -- but I don't know what that could be from. I think I'll try flushing with hot Water, Line Cleaner, and StarSan again and hope it's gone. I want my beer to taste good, damn it!

Make sure you let the line cleaner sit in the lines for a while. Maybe even do two cycles of it.

I read the thread the Conpewter linked, and the other threads that Kal wrote. Since I was unable to buy Bevseal in 3/16", I bought Tygon tubing, which is rated for "beverage and dairy". A guy on another forum I read works for A Very Large Brewery (the biggest there is), and he said they're allowed to use stainless steel, or Tygon. While you can't say they make the best tasting beer, you do have to admit, you notice off/plastic flavors in that kind of beer pretty fast.

I just hooked up the kegerator for the first time, and ran the one tap with Tygon, so I'll see how it shapes up. McMaster-Carr has it, and if you get 50', it's 90 cents a foot, which isn't TOO bad.

I'm also thinking about going Tygon -- but if Bev-Seal is that much better, I figure go big or go home. What did you do to restrict your lines so you don't have to drop your psi?

So did you end up getting the 1/4 Bev Seal? How much line do you run and at what psi?

The plan is to have them running up to the countertop upstairs, so with 10' of height difference I shouldn't have an issue keeping my pressures at 12-15 PSI even with 1/4" tubing. I also have some of the epoxy mixers to use in my dip tubes if I need them.

Edit: I got my bev-seal tubing from better bottle, good price, fast shipping

The plan is to have them running up to the countertop upstairs, so with 10' of height difference I shouldn't have an issue keeping my pressures at 12-15 PSI even with 1/4" tubing. I also have some of the epoxy mixers to use in my dip tubes if I need them.

Where'd you end up getting the beer line?

Back