Chocolate Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
So, I ordered ingredients for a IPA and accidentally ordered way too much carapills - as in 4x what is needed. Bad click of the mouse. Since I ordered everything in one bag I can't separate the grains so I am going to make a imperial stout using the base, I think...

I was toying around a recipe using what I already have as a base. Not really set on anything but the Vienna, 2-row, carapils and crystal those are what I am trying to use. Everything else is what I added.

I have had good luck with 2qt/lb mashes so that's what it is set too. According to beersmith that will put me at 9.83 gallons of my 10 gallon cooler. I might drop to 1.75qt/lb just in case...

Any suggestions? I am open to switching the plan to another brew, but I have a IPA and a Rye IPA coming up soon, so figured something darker would be a good choice... I also figured the large amount of carapils wouldn't be a big deal in a beer that is supposed to be bigger bodied. I was also considering adding 8 oz of ground coffee to secondary to give it a little extra kick.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: FL Imperial Stout
Brewer: Andrew
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.73 gal
Estimated OG: 1.097 SG
Estimated Color: 37.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 63.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 57.89 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2.63 %
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.63 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort HoHops 36.1 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
1.00 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.0 IBU
8.00 oz Cocoa Powder (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1 lbs Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 5.26 %
1 lbs Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.26 %
3 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 17.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 34.00 qt of water at 161.5 F 154.0 F

I never know with this site. Either my recipes are complete **** and beyond help or they are so great they don't need any adjustments.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

One more bump before going to bed...I really don't want to waste the grain I have laying around, but I don't want to brew a buy more grain trying to fix a problem and make it worse... someone has to be able to help!

Thanks...

I've never done a chocolate stout, so I can't really help..the only thing I'm really not sure about is the pound of brown sugar...What's your rationale for adding that?

The sugar will ferment out and leave a molasses taste behind...which isn't a bad thing, in a porter, but I can't get my tastebuds around it in your recipe.

An I have found with my one attempt at a chocolate beer, that if you want to have the flavor and aroma, then I would add three additions of it. Just like hops...

Sorry I can't be more help....Like I said. I've not tackled that style yet. What I do when trying to make a new type of beer on my own, is to look at several recipes f the same style and see what ingredients are common to them.

Also what are you looking for this to taste like? Are you looking for something like and Imperial version of Young's DOuble Chocolate, which is really chocolaty?

If so IIRC BYO has the recipe in the 150 clone recipes edition...if you don't have it (and every brewer should own one, just for Chris Colby's article on how to create a clone recipe alone) I could dig it up and post it...after I take a nap, that is...

I've never done a chocolate stout, so I can't really help..the only thing I'm really not sure about is the pound of brown sugar...What's your rationale for adding that?

The sugar will ferment out and leave a molasses taste behind...which isn't a bad thing, in a porter, but I can't get my tastebuds around it in your recipe.

I have read that sugars will help encourage higher attenuation and that brown sugar adds complexity so I figured the addition of some brown sugar would give me more flavor and help ensure that FG wasn't too high.

An I have found with my one attempt at a chocolate beer, that if you want to have the flavor and aroma, then I would add three additions of it. Just like hops...

So you would recommend some in the mash, boil and secondary? Sounds good to me.

Sorry I can't be more help....Like I said. I've not tackled that style yet. What I do when trying to make a new type of beer on my own, is to look at several recipes f the same style and see what ingredients are common to them.

I tried to do that, but am stuck with those base grains I am trying to get rid of at the same time. I was more worried they would present problems with everything else.

Also what are you looking for this to taste like? Are you looking for something like and Imperial version of Young's DOuble Chocolate, which is really chocolaty?

More chocolaty and less sweet as well as a little less creamy.

If so IIRC BYO has the recipe in the 150 clone recipes edition...if you don't have it (and every brewer should own one, just for Chris Colby's article on how to create a clone recipe alone) I could dig it up and post it...after I take a nap, that is...

I haven't had a chance to get that BYO yet. I will look into it.

Thanks for the help!

Updated version based on Revvy's comments is below. Does anyone have any thoughts on how it will turn out?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout
Recipe: FL Imperial Stout
Brewer: Andrew
Style: Imperial Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 6.73 gal
Estimated OG: 1.088 SG
Estimated Color: 34.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 67.6 IBU