MRB Mexican Cerveza - Can I add Lime Peels to the Fermentor to give it a Lime Flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S2005

Reaction score
So, I have had my Mexican Cerveza in my Mr. Beer for almost 2 days now.

It's for my wife, as I am not a fan of Corona or Dos Equis.

She also likes to put Lime in her beer.

Would it be feasible to peel some limes, and drop them in the fermentor to give it a natural lime flavor?

Would this ruin it?

I've read that you can add orange peal to some wheat beers (i.e. Blue Moon)

Not entirely sure about the limes I'm sure someone else with more experience could give better advice. I do know however that you would only want to use the zest for flavoring as the white rind part will give a bitter flavor.

i have used small ammounts of lemon zest in my beers with good results but search the forums and most people say limes just get too bitter also i have found if you are going to drink the beers green use lots less lemon if its gonna age a couple of months use more

I'll probably just not do it.

This is my first brew I've ever done.

I'll just let her add limes to it when its in her glass. :D

Now to plan my next beer!

To a 5 gallon batch of Cerveza, we added 16 oz. Agave Nectar and the pulp and juice of 3 limes to the boil. Then added the zest and juice of 3 limes to the primary. Ended up with a 5+% beer.

I do NOT like limes, and this is my beer! It was awesome. Hubby says, maybe 1 less lime would be better. I'm all in!

Only green parts of the zest - not the whites.

Trying it with oranges today :)

Back