Did i add to much sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too little. Use about 1 oz per gallon when using dextrose, and 5% less than that when using table sugar.

Your beer will carb a little (around 1.5 volume of co2) so its not gona be completely flat so you can wait till its ready (around 3 weeks) and drink it like that or you can pure it back to bottling bucket add more sugar (3 more oz) mix and bottle again, you can also make sugar syrup (with 3oz of sugar) and use drop dispenser to add it to each bottle and recap

4 oz will be enough to carbonate, the level will depend on how much the priming sugar you added initially has fermented out. How did you add the extra priming sugar, pouring each beer back into the bottling bucket is definitely not something I would consider. That aeration will lead to oxidation very quickly.

Didn't get to it yet somthing came up. Gonna make a simple syrup and use a an eye dropper some how unless anyone has a better idea

I don't have the numbers right now, but I would just add about half a teaspoon of dry table sugar to each bottle.

I'll get to it later, but in a rush right now.

Do not pour the beer back into a bottling bucket, you will oxidize the beer.

You can pick up some coppers carb tabs and add one to each bottle and recap or leave the beer alone and drink a low carbonation beer:)

I have a small bag of those sugar carb balls or whatever never used them. Just one will work per bottle?

half a tsp is plenty for a 12oz bottle, i prefer my beers a little lower carbed but then im English. 1 carb tablet is enough for a 12oz bottle too I think but it will say on the back of the packet to make sure.

To get 2.5 volumes of CO2 into a beer that has sat about 65 F, you will need about 4.5 ozs of table sugar.

3.6 ozs of table sugar = 50 LEVEL teaspoons of sugar = 1 LEVEL teaspoon of sugar per 12ozs bottle.

You have already added 1.5 ozs of sugar. When you open the bottle, you will loose a small amount of CO2, but most will be entrained in the beer. Adding a half LEVEL teaspoon of sugar straight to the bottle should bring you up to somewhere around 2.2 volumes.

To get to 3 volumes (which is getting to the limit where they guarantee the bottles are safe), you need to add a total of 4.5 ozs to 5 gallons; or in your case, an additional 3 ozs of sugar. 3 ozs = 40 LEVEL teaspoons, or about 4/5ths of a teaspoon to each bottle

I opened two bottles and when I attempted to add sugar they just slowly volcanoes with foam. Must be to late

I opened a bottle and sprinkled a pinch of sugar into it. The foam rose but didn't exit the bottle. I let it die down a bit then added the rest of the sugar then recapped. Looked like a lot of foam in bottle so I assume it's probably messed up now somehow.

Did it "volcano" immediately when it was opened? If this happens with every bottle, yes there could be a problem.

Or did it "volcano" when the sugar was added? I'm thinking most beers would volcano with the addition of a pinch of sugar.

To be clear, the advice above is to add sugar tablets! They are premeasured for a single bottle. And would be less shock than a sprinkle.

Back