Basement lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirxloin

Reaction score
Do people make lagers in their basements? My basement is pretty cold, its about 50 degrees steady. Could I store a lager in thier?

Temp control is the key - if it is a steady 50F you could definitely give it a try.

Cheers and welcome to the board!

Lagers are fermented at right about 50 degrees- so that would work. I do that at my house, where my basement is 46 degrees. After fermentation is nearly over, the beer comes upstairs for a "diacetyl rest" at room temperature.

That's the fermentation part. Then, lagers are traditionally "lagered". That really just means cold stored. That's what gives lagers the "clean" and "crisp" flavor they are known for.

I rack the beer, and then put it in a cooler set up (pictures in my gallery) back in the basement with a water bath and then I change out frozen water bottles as needed to keep the temperature at 34 degrees. Others use a fridge. Alternatively, you could bottle the beer and let it carb up at room temperature, and then stick it in a fridge for 6 weeks. There are several ways to do this, so you may find a way that works well for you.

Absolutely! I've got 10 gallons of lager going right now in my laundry room where it is about 55F. On the trailing edge of lager season, but still doable.

Back