Crafting a new recipe: Pale ale (METRIC CONTENT)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asrial

Reaction score
Okay, first brew is coming up!
I want some help with crafting an exact recipe for my first beer; a pale ale.

Malts
The malts I have chosen is as following:
  • Pale ale malt (5 kg)
  • Carahell malt (1 kg)
  • Standard wheat malt (500g)
Now, these amounts might seem completely wrong, but I took some wild guesses here. End of the day, OG of the wort should hit between 40 and 60 öeschle, but that is CALCULATED with a 75% efficiency up to 100%. So should I add more malt, or leave it be here?

Extraction(??)
Dunno what to call it, but it's the process of converting the starch to either dextrins or malt sugars (one is convertible to alcohol, the other is not). Question is, how should I spend my extraction-process to get sugars to cover between 5-6% abv? I want a well-bodied beer here, so please give some hints. :p

Hops
I'm somewhat secure on this area, since it involves tons of math. :D
On topic, I've though about using two specific british sorts of hops, namely Challenger as a bittering hops (6,5-8,5% AAC), and Brewers gold as an aromahops (5,7-7,8% AAC). Okay, these historically aren't PURE english hops, but that isn't the point. Here is my big question; how does Brewers gold connect with a pale ale? And is it a good match? Read it is spicy/fruity in the aroma, which I am a sucker for.
More general, what amount of IBUs would be healthy to aim for? I saw a graph once for the balance between AA and malt sugars to determine a sweet beer to a bitter beer, as a brewers reference.

Conditioning
This is a tricky one: I am planning to bottle this one up in a King Keg, which is a tap beer system with a capacity of 27 liters (2 liters headroom) and CO2 input for extra carbonation.
Problem is, my fridge isn't big enough to fit this thing!!! :mad: So can I get away with regular conditioning at a moderately cool place and still get a decent result?

And more off-topic than what is healthy:
Serving
I like my beer chilled to approx 7 degrees celcius. But with this monstrosity, how do I then achieve a good temperature for my brew at serving? Or should I not bother about this at all, since it is a silly question/the brew is meant to be drunk at higher temps?

Cheers if you can help me on this!

What's an öeschle? If you want a lot of dextrins you could mash at 70* C, or just under. I prefer Goldings for my British beers, but Brewer's gold should be fine too. I wouldn't drink it under 10* C.

Öeschle is just another measure for gravity. 60 öeschle is 1060 gravity. :p

Small bump, as I will buy the ingredients within the next 48 hrs, so I need some feedback soon! In return, I will post this as a full recipe and give details. :p

Back