Container for LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to try a BOP place near me which will sell me liquid malt extract, but I have to bring my own container.

Any suggestions on what to use? I was thinking 4 litre water jugs that spring water come in.

Anything will work. I've seen it in everything, plastic buckets, tupperware, milk jugs. Whatever you have. I gallon zip lock baggies.

One tip I would say is to make sure it is something that you can easily submerge into a pan of hot water to soften the extract a bit so it flows our of the container easily.

Good thought, thanks Revvy.
I won't be doing this often, but my nearest LHBS is over 2 hours away.. and I'd really like to do a batch of Amarillo IPA this weekend. I have a pound of Amarillo just waiting to get brewed.. but no extract ;)

I get my LME this way from a Brew on Premises in Brampton, ON. He sells LME from a drum by the litre. I take a bunch of 1 litre clear plastic food containers like the generic ones supermarkets use for bulk candy/nuts. Empty yogurt or ice cream containers would work just as well.

1 litre of extract is pretty close to 3 lbs in weight so I use either one or two containers for my partial mash recipes and then add or subtract the amount of grain to get my target OG.

The wide mouth of the container is easy to work with.

Like Revvy said, warm the container in hot water in the sink for 10-15 mins before you dump it into the kettle or fermenter.

i get plastic buckets from my LHBS when I buy LME, 2 dollar deposit if you bring em back. they hold at least 9.5 lbs of extract, have metal handles, and are essentially really small versions of ale pails.

if you ever did a cookie dough drive in elementary or middle school. think about the tubs that the cookie dough came in and you've got your basic container, at least in regards to what I use for LME

Back