Making a great mead with clover honey - opinions/recipes needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNBrews

Reaction score
I think we can all agree that clover honey by itself does not make the tastiest mead. Unfortunately, it seems to the be the honey most often found at your local grocer that doesn't cost a fortune. What are some of your favorite blended honey or metheglin mead recipes that utilize this readily-available honey to make something that shines?

Vanilla Metheglyn is a good one, just add 1 split vanilla bean to the primary and leave it in there till you bottle. :)

IMO there's little point using a quality varietal honey if you're using a recipe with fruit/spices/herbs etc as they will virtually always mask the subtle tastes that you get from varietal honey traditional meads.

so if it's gonna be flavoured with whatever, then there's no reason not to use the cheap store bought/supermarket blended honey........ though I'd still stay away from blended honey from Australia as it often contains Eucalyptus honey which can give a "cough medicine" type after taste....... Varietal honey from Australia is fine (even Eucalyptus honey, if that's the flavour you're after)

IMO there's little point using a quality varietal honey if you're using a recipe with fruit/spices/herbs etc as they will virtually always mask the subtle tastes that you get from varietal honey traditional meads.

+1. I'm with fatbloke on this one, save your pricey varietals for show meads. I'll use clover or alfafa for melomels, but I've given up on "wildflower" honey; it might be good in some areas, but here the wildflower honey just doesn't make good mead & I won't use it. Regards, GF.

I completely agree fatbloke, which is why I'm asking about *tasty* recipes which use clover honey; spiced or blended with with a varietal. ;)

Back