Hops: Pellets vs. Whole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvh

Reaction score
I, for the first time, will be using whole (organically grown) hops in a homebrew. I'm familiar with using pellets, but is there a big difference, weight-wise, between pellets and 'fresh'?

I'm familiar with the fact that pellets are simply crushed fresh hops, but I thought I read somewhere you should add a 'little'more when going with fresh.

thx.
kvh

I recall reading that by weight, you can expect 10-15% more alpha acid utilization with pelletized hops over whole hops. Here's a ton of information you may find useful.

I go about 15% more whole hops for bittering, but don't change the flavor or aroma weights.

According to ProMash, the IBU conversion factor for going from whole to pellet is 1.09; Going from pellet to whole is 0.90.

I like to use pellets for bittering and whole hops for everything else. The extra bulk of the whole hops, especially on a beer with a large hop bill, makes it harder to decant into the fermenter.

flingdingo said:
I like to use pellets for bittering and whole hops for everything else. The extra bulk of the whole hops, especially on a beer with a large hop bill, makes it harder to decant into the fermenter.

Thats what I do too. Pellets for bitter, flavor, then whole or plugs for knock-out and dry hop. I dont use a conversion factor because I tend to use a lot of hops regardless. I dont think a few ibu's either way is perceptable anyway.

Back