AG setup: access to free kegs but want to keep 5gal batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabrew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I`m on the road to all grain (finally) and with my new job I have access to non-reusable kegs. Thing is that I rather keep on doing various 5gal recipes rather than fewer greater volumed ones.

I was wondering if I could still use a keg as a HLT and a boiling tun for such small volumes?

Gabrew

Alright, thanks!

As for the MLT, I`m going for a 5gal cooler using a copper manifold/sparger. Should i restrict this to the 5gal recipies I am planning on brewing or should i go with a larger version in case i decide to go bigger?

My question is: for the MLT, does volume size affect lautering? (grain bed depth...etc)

thanks again!

I say go bigger. Right now you may be wanting to do more 5gal batches, but if you are like me, you will find at some point you will have those standard recipes that you want on tap all the time and it is just much much MUCH easier to brew 10gal at a time and save the 5gal batches for new ideas.

Thanks again for these suggestions.

So basically i should go for at least a 10gal cooler, which will allow me to brew 5gal recipes and other (10gal?) as well?

If you have access to kegs, why not just use a keggle for an MLT? It allows you to direct fire your mashes, you can convert to electric and insulate if you want, IMHO I love mine and could never dream of using a cooler to mash in if I had a keggle option.

I`ve thought about it, but I can`t build a huge system yet, I`m still in school and the dorm is quite limited in space. I was planning on using one keg for the HLT as well as the boiling vessel and a small upright round cooler as my MLT...

suggestions?

If you are still in the dorm that may be the better idea then, but you are going to need another run off vessel for when you sparge....

Remembering how small my dorm rooms were I cannot imagine brewing anything but extract in them, and even that would be hard since we were not even allowed hot plates, let alone propane burners...

I may even suggest renting a storage shed to keep your brew stuff in and brew out of. turn it into a little brew cave for ~$30 a month for a small one if you have the extra cash or the ability to sell plasma :D

Haha, exactly. We aren`t aloud propane but i`ll give it a shot anyways.

I just got a job as a brewer for a pretty successful local brewery (Boréale). With everything i`ve learned in the past months, I just find it deceiving to brew from extracts...

the roomates are pretty happy with the free beer, so they're willing to give me the room required to brew all grain :p

Back