Priming calculator questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Temp is temp at end of fermentation.

ie. ferment at 64 then raise to 68 to finish. Cold crash to 37 then bottle. Use 68 as your temp for the calculator

Yeah,I'm finding that temp at FG or bottling time works better for that one. And yes,it's USG,though temp can be changed from Fahrenheit to Celcius.

Hi!

Can somebody please clarify a few things about the priming calculator here:
http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

1) Fermentation Temp: is this temp at bottling or average temp of fermentation?

2) Volume of beer: Is this in US or UK gallons?

Thank you!
1) As per Docscott
2) US gallons

Don't pay any attention to the Average C02 volumes listed by BJCP style.
Enter the Volumes of C02 manually.
For a bottled beer, this should be roughly 2.5 volumes of C02

-a.

For the temp, enter the HIGHEST temp that the beer has been during fermentation. I bottle coming right out of cold crash. If I entered that number, my carbonation would be way the heck off.

2.3-2.6 is a good level for many batches. For some English and Belgian stuff, you can easily reduce that if you want to be more style-specific.

Weigh your priming sugar. It's more accurate than by volume.

Don't try to get creative and prime with honey or molasses. It's harder to measure accurately and the very small amount used for priming brings little or no flavor benefit.

For the temp, enter the HIGHEST temp that the beer has been during fermentation. I bottle coming right out of cold crash. If I entered that number, my carbonation would be way the heck off.

2.3-2.6 is a good level for many batches. For some English and Belgian stuff, you can easily reduce that if you want to be more style-specific.

Weigh your priming sugar. It's more accurate than by volume.

Don't try to get creative and prime with honey or molasses. It's harder to measure accurately and the very small amount used for priming brings little or no flavor benefit.

Belgians are actually carbonated around the 3.0 range and above, so I thought.

Thanks guys!

I won't risk carbing over 3 volumes in a bottle but I like my beer well cabonated, so 2.5-2.8 would probably be my usual CO2 amount.

How do volumes of CO2 relate to BAR? I want to pressure-test a mini-kegging system but don't know how much air to pump into the test keg.

Belgians are actually carbonated around the 3.0 range and above, so I thought.

Most of the carb charts put Belgian ales in the 1.9-2.4 range. The BYO one says 2.0-4.5 (hmmmmm, not sure how helpful that is).

If it's something that you're going to just enjoy at home and share with friends, I think that shooting for 2.5 will work nicely for most folks.

1) As per Docscott
2) US gallons

Don't pay any attention to the Average C02 volumes listed by BJCP style.
Enter the Volumes of C02 manually.
For a bottled beer, this should be roughly 2.5 volumes of C02

-a.

Not all beers have 2.5 volumes of co2. some have less,some have more per style. A malt forward beer will taste more of the hops then the malt with that much carbonation.

If you follow the suggested carbonation levels for an English Pale Ale, it recommends 0.75 - 1.3 volumes of CO2. This is fine for a draught beer, but is totally inadequate for a bottled beer.

-a.

Thanks guys!

What pressure (in BAR or PSI) should a pressure barrel be able to withstand?
I'm looking at small kegging options and want to test a few diy set-ups.

Thanks guys!

What pressure (in BAR or PSI) should a pressure barrel be able to withstand?
I'm looking at small kegging options and want to test a few diy set-ups.
I doubt that most people on this forum would be able to answer that question as pressure barrels are not available in the US.

An email to the manufacturer should get you an accurate answer.

I used to use one several years ago, but I only used it for dispensing English Bitters at a very low carbonation level.

-a.

Back