bulk grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seckert

Reaction score
ok so i am thinking about the next venture of my brewing is buying grain in bulk and crushing myself. the wife asks me where i plan on storing the grain before i use it all. does it need to be stored in fridge? i live in FL where humidity is a huge problem. i am afraid if it isn't stored properly then i might get bugs in it or mold from the humidity. how do you all store your grain? thanks for the help ahead of time.

I'm not in Florida, so can't say what your tropical weather would do. In the midwest, I buy by the bag and pour it in a pet food container with a gasketed lid. Each container holds about a half of a bag of grain. I store the containers on a shelf in the garage, where I grind my grain, away from my fermentation and storage area in the basement.

The container I use is this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017JHZVA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I store my grain in the orange homer paint buckets from Home Depot. They havea airtight lid and I keep the buckets stacked up in the basement. I never measured it but I think they hold just over 20 lbs of grain each so I have several. Unopened 50# bags sit in an old cooler that I no longer use. I think incrushedx grain is more resilient than I previously brlieved

ok thanks for the input everyone. seems like the common thing here is to seal it from the air. i guess as long as i keep it in the house and away from the humidity as much as possible i will be good.:mug:

Sealed containers work well the secret I have found is not to keep base malts too long (1 year at the most) crystal and roasted malt seem to last the longest. I buy 6-8 bags of base malts twice a year only had weevils in some pale ale malt which became a batch of "Lesser of to weevils APA"

Back