First Kegging Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danorocks17

Reaction score
I just got into kegging this past spring and this is the first major issue I have run into. I have had four kegs on my system no problem, but I recently (3 weeks ago) threw a keg of oktoberfest onto the gas. I believe I had gas all of last week and I come home today from a labor day weekend out of town and my 20lbs tank is completely empty :confused: I wondering if you kegging veterans may be able to help me trouble shoot this very frustrating situation. I am guessing it has something to do with the beer I just put on gas, but it seems to be that if there was a leak there it would have drained much faster than 3 weeks. thanks for the help in advance.

There are such things are crazy slow leaks. Or leaks that start out crazy slow and work themselves up to one that can drain a tank overnight.

Did you use keg lube on your o-rings? Did you do a leak test by spraying a soap solution at all connections and o-rings? These can help you diagnose and fix a leak.

Take a small spray bottle and fill it full of water, plus 2-3 drops of dishwashing liquid. Shake. Then spray it at all of the connections, regulator, tank valve, faucet connections, etc.

You will find your leak.

And then just wipe off when done.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I haven't tested my kegs with the water/soap test. Now I'm going to check them all out. I am sure it has something to do with that keg I just put on is the culprit. Now I just have to find time to get a new tank, which is frustrating.

I am wondering if it is a bad gas poppet. I know the keg doesn't leak because I had it under pressure before I filled it. The top of the poppet appears to be sunk in a little, if that means anything. Literally the only thing I have changed in my system in months is that new keg, so it's gotta be related to that.

If the keg wasn't leaking before you hooked it up, the problem is not the poppets. And if the QDs you have hooked to that keg have been reliable, it's probably not the QDs. And it can't be the lid seal, because that would have leaked before you hooked the keg up.

Sooo....the problem is a bad keg post O-ring. Replace both of them, get some keg lube and use it on them, and I bet your leak goes away...

Cheers!

day_trippr said:
Sooo....the problem is a bad keg post O-ring. Replace both of them, get some keg lube and use it on them, and I bet your leak goes away...

Cheers!

+1 to this. Anytime I add a keg, I usually fill it up with water, put some pressure on it, and check the posts or any leaks, gas or liquid. With a used keg I got, the poppet on the gas side had a leak I found by doing this. Replaced the poppet, now all is good. I'd rather waste some water than some brew.

So I've figured out where my leak is. Went to my LHBS and exchanged my tank. Turns out one of the check valves on my 4 way manifold is leaking. It's not the connection, because I tightened it as tight as possible, and it appears to be further back than the hose connection. I think the valve has a bad seam in it. It's strange because it has functioned just fine for 3 months, and now all of a sudden it starts to leak. The only reason I found it was I could actually hear the gas leak, and then I did the soap test to see exactly where it was. I got it from keg connection so i took pictures of the leak and emailed them about it. Hopefully I can just get a new check valve.

Latest posts

Back