Eggs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a fair amount of duck, my dad used to hunt them. He also would occasionally go goose hunting. I know we ate them as well, but I can't remember much about the taste. I might have to cook one up this Christmas. I'm in charge of the turkey for Thanksgiving, but I like to do something different for Christmas. Lately it's been pretty standard, beef roast for Christmas and ham on easter. I want to serve rabbit next easter, but my wife thinks that might be a little over the top.

I've had a fair amount of duck, my dad used to hunt them. He also would occasionally go goose hunting. I know we ate them as well, but I can't remember much about the taste. I might have to cook one up this Christmas. I'm in charge of the turkey for Thanksgiving, but I like to do something different for Christmas. Lately it's been pretty standard, beef roast for Christmas and ham on easter. I want to serve rabbit next easter, but my wife thinks that might be a little over the top.

Do you think she would relent if you offered to make hossenpfeffer?

Dang it... You made me want to try it now as I'm pretty adventurous with my palate. Wonder if my local Walmart has a special on it? ;)

I like venison, pheasant, wild turkey, and quail - need to find someone that can hook me up with a goose!

My wife's favorite of favorite authors is Charles Dickens, so I really wanted to do the whole Christmas Carole Christmas goose thing (this is the year I met her). When I asked the butcher over the phone if he sold goose he replied "Well, I certainly hope to for the holidays." The implication was that he would be a lousy butcher if he didnt have a Christmas goose to sell at Christmas. :). Does Tuttle have a private butcher? If they dont usually pack it in, you might be able to call weeks or months ahead and have them order one for you.

Word of warning though, it aint cheap. Definitely special occassion fare.

CreamyGoodness said:
My wife's favorite of favorite authors is Charles Dickens, so I really wanted to do the whole Christmas Carole Christmas goose thing (this is the year I met her). When I asked the butcher over the phone if he sold goose he replied "Well, I certainly hope to for the holidays." The implication was that he would be a lousy butcher if he didnt have a Christmas goose to sell at Christmas. :). Does Tuttle have a private butcher? If they dont usually pack it in, you might be able to call weeks or months ahead and have them order one for you.

Word of warning though, it aint cheap. Definitely special occassion fare.

We've actually got 2 butchers near by - one in Tuttle and one in Mustang - about the same distance. I live in BEEF country however and I'm skeptical that they have Goose available. Seen some buffalo but mostly beef, pork, and chicken. I'll give them a call and see what they say. I've got company coming on Weds through Sunday of this week who are a bit "foodie", so might be a good time to experiment! Any recipe advice?

To keep this reasonably on topic, I'll use the goose fat to cook some eggs! Already have a German night planned with homemade pretzels, fermented Kraut, bratwurst, and some schnitzel. (Along with my Helles!)

The beautiful thing about cooking goose is the simplicity. Get a couple skewers and poke holes all over the outside of the bird. You want to get through the skin and fat layer all the way down to the meat. Get a bowl with all-purpose flour, salt to taste, cayenne to taste, paprika and maybe even a little tumeric and rub all over the skin. You really want to make a thin layer of flour and spices all over it.

Stand her up on a rack in a roasting tray and shock her at 450 for a half hour, then turn it down to 350. Now roast, and roast, and roast, and roast, and roast (I think its a half hour to an hour per pound, but definitely dont take my word on that... I look it up every time I do it). You'll need to pour the fat into a coffee can every half hour or so. You'll be SHOCKED how much comes out.

Then just let it rest, slice and serve. You dont need a lot of dickering to do to it, since it has so much flavor on its own.

Here's another egg use, this one posted with the express purpose of blowing Homer's mind. A raw quail egg in the middle of a lovely tuna tartar.

Not that I have the kind of money anymore to fool around with sushi grade tuna...

To keep this reasonably on topic, I'll use the goose fat to cook some eggs! Already have a German night planned with homemade pretzels, fermented Kraut, bratwurst, and some schnitzel. (Along with my Helles!)

Aww man, suddenly I wish NYC were closer to Oklahoma. I'd fenagle an invite out of ya for a meal like that!

CreamyGoodness said:
Aww man, suddenly I wish NYC were closer to Oklahoma. I'd fenagle an invite out of ya for a meal like that!

Someday when I'm headed NYC way I'll Pm and we can hook up for some food and beverage company! I'll check out the butcher and see if this is practical given my timeline and also confirm with the wife that she's "game"!

One hour to go. Any more takers? As I have proven, I am remarkably good at guessing the kind of mattress they prefer.

Unsolicited, I am going to guess that Yooper and Bob are not only on a soft mattress, but a soft comforter on top of that.

Homer has a cold, hard heart, so I think his mattress is extra firm.

cheezydemon sleeps hanging upsidedown from gravity boots... no mattress needed.

306414_333866136705488_1536079793_n.jpg

So the majority of America sleeps on what?

Here's a personality question that I think is right up there. There are two menu items and two menu items only. You are too hungry to turn down the meal, and no substitutions are allowed.

1) Grilled baby shark steaks

2) Mixed meat grill- Lamb kafta, pork sausages, veal liver, and veal sweetbreads

Which do you choose?

Okay, shark is tasty, but #2 is actually something I wouldn't hesitate to order. Mmmmm sweetbreads

CreamyGoodness said:
Because you are sick of fish or because you dont count shark as edible fish?

Neither, its because I dont agree with how the majority of sharks are harvested ,ie finning, that I will not eat them, even though shark meat is very tasty.
If swmbo amd I end up at a restaurant that serves shark fin soup I will not eat.
I have no problem with the SUSTAINABLE harvest of shark, but to take an already declining/endangered population to just cut the fins off and throw the rest back into the ocean to die when the fins add absolutely zero flavor to the soup I want no part of. Unsustainable fishery has devestated my villiage . If the shark was harvested differently I would have no problem , but how do I tell the difference between 1 good fishing vessel from the 999 others by looking at a menu?

Eggs? CreamyGoodness is talking about Eegs today?

The guy is talented...

...oh and Over Easy so the yoke can be mixed into grits of dabbed up with toast...

Neither, its because I dont agree with how the majority of sharks are harvested ,ie finning, that I will not eat them, even though shark meat is very tasty.
If swmbo amd I end up at a restaurant that serves shark fin soup I will not eat.
I have no problem with the SUSTAINABLE harvest of shark, but to take an already declining/endangered population to just cut the fins off and throw the rest back into the ocean to die when the fins add absolutely zero flavor to the soup I want no part of. Unsustainable fishery has devestated my villiage . If the shark was harvested differently I would have no problem , but how do I tell the difference between 1 good fishing vessel from the 999 others by looking at a menu?

For whatever reason I hadnt thought of that. Lately I have shied away from tuna and salmon in favor of smelt and fresh sardines and squid because they are delicious and more sustainable, but never thought about shark. What I had last night was steaks of simply grilled baby shark with lemon, olive oil and sea salt, and since it wasn't shark fin soup I didnt even think to question it.

When it comes to food I am firmly against anything with "ist", "etarian" or "ism" at the end, but do try to be concientious of how I get my food.

For whatever reason I hadnt thought of that. Lately I have shied away from tuna and salmon in favor of smelt and fresh sardines and squid because they are delicious and more sustainable, but never thought about shark. What I had last night was steaks of simply grilled baby shark with lemon, olive oil and sea salt, and since it was shark fin soup I didnt even think to question it.

When it comes to food I am firmly against anything with "ist", "etarian" or "ism" at the end, but do try to be concientious of how I get my food.

I love me some fried smelt. Takes a bunch of them though. I ate the whole school a couple of weeks ago.

CreamyGoodness said:
Here's a personality question that I think is right up there. There are two menu items and two menu items only. You are too hungry to turn down the meal, and no substitutions are allowed.

1) Grilled baby shark steaks

2) Mixed meat grill- Lamb kafta, pork sausages, veal liver, and veal sweetbreads

Which do you choose?

It would depend on my mood, methinks. I do have similar ethical concerns to the poster above, but I think the fact that they're shark *steaks* kinda sorta slightly implies that they weren't just de-finned and then thrown back into the ocean.

passedpawn said:
Since the topic is fresh, has everyone tried soaking an egg in vinegar for a few days? Fun stuff for kids (like me).

I used to soak a few dozen (hard boiled) with onions carrots and jalepenos. Mmmm...pickled eggs. It's been a while.

My son likes the trick though.

Back