What should it look like in Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cartman98

Reaction score
I'm brewing (my first and second ever!) a Belgian blonde ale and a Maple brown ale. My question is what should it look like on top? The Belgian has a thin whitish film over it, looking through the carboy and no bubbles on top but there is definitely stuff coming to the surface and going back down. The Maple on the other hand looks much different, same color on the surface as below and what I would guess to be natural carbonation (light) on top.
The Belgian was brewed on 12 Oct. and the Maple brewed last 19 Oct.
Both are kits from a shop in Dubuque with very good instructions.

Just realized this should be in the newb section...
Well my buddy is set on kegging this Friday and drinking them Sat for a Halloween party... Is that allowing adequate time for fermentation?

safe to drink, yes.
premature, yes. it'll be a lot tastier if you give it a few weeks in the keg after 2 weeks in secondary.

even Budweiser knows not to rush their beer :)

Sounds like you should just make a beer run...no one will want to drink your beer after that..which..isnt necessarily a bad thing I guess

I wouldn't be drinking it that young... It is sometimes referred to as green beer when it's that young. A good amount the yeast will still be alive and active in the beer and if you drink live yeast lets just say you may be in need of rent-a-loo. At the very least you are likely to get one hell of a belly ache. Carbonation is rarely an issue when kegging but regardless you still have to let it condition. The only way you could drink that beer so soon is if you buy a good quality inline filter to get rid of all the yeast and other sediment. Still wouln't taste as good as it might but at least you'll be drinking your beer on Saturday.

Ok, I'm going to try talk my buddy into letting it sit for a while. Should we keg it an stick it into a fridge or keep it at 70 like it is now?
I think he has a few other home brews chillin in his basement anyhow. What about the Brown ale we brewed on the 19th (now in the secondary)? Is that enough time it keg it yet?

My rye pale ale has a whitish film on top too...almost greesy looking. I think it is from the star san bubbles that were left in the secondary when i racked. Should be fine I think....right.......o god......ok....RDWHAHB

If you drink either beer you will be disapointed. Too young, too green, too astringent, and too damn yeast soupy. Mouth feel won't be there, taste won't be at its best, and you will be running to the bathroom and letting off some foul stinking gas.

RDWHAHB is the best advice in this business. If you don't have any go to the liquer store and find some quality craft beer. You'll just have to throw a Thanksgiving party and enjoy them both much better then. Or you can keg it and settle for, well you get my draught.

Patience is a ... and Good things come to....

- WW

Well patience is a virtue, but it apparently isn't always a necessity when it comes to brewing beer! We had our party and just like I thought, the batch we brewed on the 19th wasn't that great, but still better than some beers I've had. Anyhow, an hour into it we killed the first keg and onto the Belgian Blonde ale! Rave reviews from all around, I don't think it could have gotten much better. It was awesome...from what I remember! We still have a bit left we might bottle for gifts.
Definitely have to get some more brews going this week!

Cartman98 said:
... We still have a bit left we might bottle for gifts.QUOTE]

Believe us when we say time improves things dramatically. You will notice that your blonde will get better in time, but then again, like doctors, it takes patience.;)

- WW

Personally I would have liked to wait at least a few more weeks but it wasn't only up to me anyhow.
I definitely think the Maple Brown needed more time, we never should have opened it so soon, but it was half gone by the time I got done with work!
I was really surprised how great the Belgian Blonde was though.

Back