Looking for kit suggestions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf666

Reaction score
So I'm not 100% new to brewing, but calling me 99.99% new would be fairly accurate. While I was in Japan some buddies and I enjoyed brewing various beers, so I got to experience a lot of the cleaning, prep work, mixing, having a failed brew or two, the lovely waiting, and of course enjoying the fruits of the labor. While I was there my buddy went with two kit set ups, the first resulting in bottling beer after beer, the second as a full keg set up with a tap (the second of which I definitely preferred).

Now I know this may need to go to the beginners section, but I know my MAIN thing I want to be brewing is mead. We brewed one batch of it just prior to me heading back to the states and I loved the stuff. Since returning back to the states and now living in VA the choice of mead is well...horrible. So I am looking at picking up a starter kit that I can use predominantly for meads, but if I want to brew a nice dark beer here and there I can still pull it off. Nothing too huge of a set up, brewing mostly for myself. I'd love to meet up with other brewers to toss back a few, but with me working nights + weekends, it makes it rough to run into people with a similar schedule :p

So suggestions from other mead brewers?

Sounds about what I was looking at. Couldn't bring myself down to buying a Mr Beer set up, and was figuring around 5/6 gallon set up was what I needed.

Back