Cider Carbonation & Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAJay

Reaction score
I started my first batch of Apple Passion Mango cider on May 14th. OG was 1.090 and I used 5.5 grams (half pack) of Nottingham Ale Yeast. It's been 11 days and my SP is at 1.010 which by my calculations is 10.8% ABV though I may have calculated something wrong. I don't mind it being a bit stronger than expected, but I thought an ale yeast would die out around 6% to 8% alcohol? I'd like to carbonate this in a bottle but not when I should do this. I'm going for a little sweetness so I'd like to stop fermentation soon but if I use Campden tabs and potassium sorbate I won't be able to carbonate it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated....

The most common options are to back sweeten with non-fermentable sweetner like splenda or stevia, then add real sugar for carbonation.

The other option would be to stop fermentation by putting it permanently in the fridge to make the yeast go dormant, but you're flirting with bottle bombs and practically assured uneven carbonation with that method.

although i have never used nottingham yeast i find it highly unlikely that it will finish at 8%
sad news, but you are facing the same problem as all of the other people who want to have sweet and sparkling cider: non-fermentable sugar, keg/force carb , or pasteurize. or exploding bottles

Back