Green Grolsch Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. There's nothing wrong with green bottles or clear ones for that matter, given proper storage.

kornkob said:
No. There's nothing wrong with green bottles or clear ones for that matter, given proper storage.

Yep, in fact if stored properly, green or clear bottles can actually be BETTER. Makes it far easier to see when you have poured down to the bottom and the sediment/yeast is starting to run down the bottle.

I know a few folks that use grolsh bottles with out a problem...course I have a slew of brown glass so its never really been a question for me.

A common misconception is that brown glass prevents light-struck (skunky) beers. It definitely does not. My BIL and I did a test once -- in a sunny window sill, we set out the same beer that had bottled in clear, green, and brown glass. We also protected one from the light to serve as a 'control'. ALL of the bottles tasted a bit skunky after sitting only 30 minutes in the sun. The brown bottle was definitely better, but not as good as the one protected from the sun!

FlyGuy said:
A common misconception is that brown glass prevents light-struck (skunky) beers. It definitely does not. My BIL and I did a test once -- in a sunny window sill, we set out the same beer that had bottled in clear, green, and brown glass. We also protected one from the light to serve as a 'control'. ALL of the bottles tasted a bit skunky after sitting only 30 minutes in the sun. The brown bottle was definitely better, but not as good as the one protected from the sun!

Thats crazy.

If it the swing tops you want. You can get them in brown with a beer called Schwelmer. The only drawback is they are 11.2 oz. But a nice looking bottle none the less.

Green Grolsch bottles are absolutely no good at all. Thery're not good for anything and actually damage the ecosystem if discarded in the normal manner. I recommend that anyone with such bottles and a conscience, immediately send them to me postage paid.

fireloo said:
Green Grolsch bottles are absolutely no good at all. Thery're not good for anything and actually damage the ecosystem if discarded in the normal manner. I recommend that anyone with such bottles and a conscience, immediately send them to me postage paid.

WRONG!!

Send them to ME! I'll even pay 1/2 the postage!!:drunk: :D

steve

green bottles in general are good i would think.... take a look at your extra virgin olive oil.... the better quality the olive oil, the darker green the bottle...green keeps the olive oil from going rancid

teacup13 said:
green bottles in general are good i would think.... take a look at your extra virgin olive oil.... the better quality the olive oil, the darker green the bottle...green keeps the olive oil from going rancid

:confused:

and plenty of premium grade olive oils come in clear glass....by this logic, clear glass is even better.

Back