Victory HopDevil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnodon

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Recipe: Victory HopDevil - orginal
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Recipe: Victory HopDevil - orginal
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65*
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 65*
Tasting Notes
Hoppy
http://victorybeer.com/beers/hopdevil/

The Victory webpage states that this beer uses German 2 Row for the base grain so I magine you could substitute Pilsnr 2 Row German for the PM 2 Row US that I used.

Recipe: Victory HopDevil
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069
Estimated Color: 10.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 64.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
12.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.29 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (60 min) Hops 48.4 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [7.20 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (15 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (5 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
2 Pkgs East Coast Ale (White Labs #WLP008) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 14.00 lb
Mash @ 150 for 60 minutes.

I forgot to add...

My LHBS does not carry CaraMunich so their suggestion was to substitute Crystal 60 and that is what I did.

John

Moved this one to the secondary last night. FG was at 1.018 so it is close (1.017 expected). I'll measure again in a few days to see if it drops any farther.

Man...hops smelled awesome when I opened the bucket! I'll be adding the dry hops in a week or so and let sit for 5 days then rack to a keg. Should know how this turned out in 2 weeks or so.

John

have you had this yet? its probably getting close to consumption if you havent already. Curious how this turned out for you and what changes you would make next time around.

Sorry guys...I haven't been paying close attention to this thread.

I'll post a pic later...

All in all, it is pretty damn good. The taste is definietly there but I would say that it is just not as hoppy. It's close...but not quite. Actually, I think I like this better. I had it side by side with a bottle of HD and, as I said, the taste was just about perfect. It was much smoother (not as much bite) which made it really drinkable.

One of the things I noticed is that it is VERY aromatic! If you were to take some of the aroma hops and move them up in the process to the bittering stage, I bet you would have a dead ringer! I think I may try this next time.

One last piece of advice...do whatever you have to to try and clear this beer. With the amount of hops, it came out very cloudy (which really doesn't bother me that much). If you are a clear beer type of person, whirlpool, strain, gelatin, etc.

I'll finish with this...I plan on keeping this one in rotation as I lilke it so much (as do my friends).

John

As promised...

IMG_1883.jpg

wow. that pic does look spot on! I have always been curious as to Victory's hop schedule, but since yours came close, methinks I will give your recipe a shot and go from there! thanks a lot rusty

Brewed another batch of this and kegged it a few days ago. It is not completely carbed yet but I couldn't resist. Man, after about 3 pints of this my face started to go numb! :)

God I love this beer!

John

I finished off a 10 gallon batch of this. My efficency ended up too low and I used all the hops as scheduled so my version didn't end up being just like HopDevil since the gravity was lower and thus the IBU:GU a bit higher. I kicked the first keg too soon, I think. It tasted wonderful but nothing like HopDevil (more like Majaraja Lite ) toward the end of the second keg it had dropped clear and definitly tasted very similar even though I missed my numbers. I also subbed US-05.

Definatly going to rebrew another 10 gallons of this soon and up the keg hops to a full once AND stay out of it until 6 weeks after brewday. :) also plan to experiment next time since I brew 10 gallons and ferment in 2 seperate vessels I'm going redo one with US-05 and the other with Notttingham.

Thanks for sharing this recipe I think I have found my house brew! :mug:

so it sounds like everyone who has brewed this, has enjoyed it. May have to make this as the on deck brew after a brown ale. Wife and I love us some IPA, espicially because we cant get it here in Germany.

Back