extra long primary fermentation time question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderThePorchBrewing

Reaction score
Back in the summer I brewed Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale ale. Well life has a way of getting away from us and it is still in my fermentation box in a glass carboy after 12 weeks. I hope to bottle it in a day or so. I have had it at a fairly controlled temp of approx 62F it fermented at 67 maintaining a near constant temp. Any problem with sitting on the yeast this long? and if so what should I be aware of or look for? possible off flavors etc?

Ben

It's probably fine, but being a pale ale it might not have the aroma you would like it to have. Give it a taste and if it tastes good you can either bottle it now or transfer to a secondary and dry hop it a bit to freshen up the aroma. Do that and it'll probably be even better than you intended from the extra bulk aging!

It's probably fine, but being a pale ale it might not have the aroma you would like it to have. Give it a taste and if it tastes good you can either bottle it now or transfer to a secondary and dry hop it a bit to freshen up the aroma. Do that and it'll probably be even better than you intended from the extra bulk aging!

I was thinking of this. only problem I may encounter is I know have Hallertaur, cluster, fuggle and EKG. I'll have to see what else I have in the bottom of the fridge in the misc additions box or possibly take something from one of my "ready to brew" buckets and sub it back later

the hop schedule is
1.0 oz Cascade 6.6% at 60 min.
0.5 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 30 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 15 min.
0.25 oz. Cascade 6.6% at 5 min.

if I have cascade do you think .25 oz since it is not really overly hopped to start with?

go with a 1/2 or full oz. but any dryhop will be better than no dryhop. bet it will be good. You just may start doing this to all your beers.

Back