IPA SMaSH malt: Marris Otter or Pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmoke

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing tomorrow and I'm debating which kind of malt to use.
The recipe is essentially a clone of Double Mountain's Vaporizer IPA—though they used some Brewers Gold in their beer. I originally was going to just use Pilsner malt as the base.

Yet I was thinking that Marris Otter malt would also be a good route as it is kilned at a slightly higher temperature and might add a little residual sweetness to balance out the hops a bit more. Though I planned on doing a multi-step mashing program (probably 25 mins @ 140 and 158 for 40 mins), which means I would have gotten a nice sweetness and body from either.

My question is how much of a difference will switching out the malt make and what characteristics will I get out of the Marris Otter that I won't get out of the Pilsner malt?

Recipe:

"The Continental"

3 gallon batch

7lbs 8oz Bohmenian Pilsner Malt

1.0 FWH 60 mins Challenger 7 aau
.5 oz 45 mins Challenger 7 aau
.5 oz 30 mins Challenger 7 aau
.5 oz 5 mins Challenger 7 aau
.5 oz 1 min Challenger 7 aau
.5 oz 10 days Challenger 7 aau

Yeast: Starter from leftover Wyeast Abbey Ale II

Target OG: 1.064
Target IBUs: 60

Marris otter.

Going to be very interesting with that yeast choice though.
I've used the yeast in my last few beers and it tend to be clean overall except a very distinct floralish note in the finish of the beers.

I'll take a stab here.

Pils malt, to me, sometimes has a legume-like flavor, like lima beans or peas.

English pale ale malts seem to have a warm, honey-on-toast vibe.

Latest posts

Back