Baking with Notty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_w_taylor

Reaction score
I'm going to make pizza dough today. Would a packet of Notty work instead of using the flavorless bakers yeast?

Id think it would. My neighbor and I have washed notty from a batch of beer and made a dough starter with it. I'd think a packet would have enough yeast and would react fine.

No better way to find out than to try it and report back!

make your dough the day before and let it proof in the fridge for 24 hours, then you will have tasty flavors. look forward to hearing how the notty use works out.

Oh, HELLS yeah.

When I bake, I use barm all the time. Makes the loaf rise like a rocket. Of course, that's barm, not packets of dry yeast.

The great thing about using ale yeast from your LHBS instead of the dry yeast packets you get in the grocery is that you can usually be assured the ale yeast is a lot more fresh and that good care has been taken of it. Lord knows how long the Red Star yeast has been sitting there on the shelf and what environment it's had to live in.

Should give a different flavor, too.

Bob

Twas amazing! I did let it proof for about for about 18 hours. More of a Napolitano style - I would recommend this to all!!!

Back