Calling All Greater Raleigh Area Brewers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
HBT's "Boston" is planning to brew on the morning of Black Friday (November 27th) at his home in Cary, NC.

If any of you in the Raleigh/Cary area care to stop by and meet other brewers in the area, consider this your official invitation.
  • Meet some of HBT's "old timers" from this part of the country!
  • Become informal members of our informal brewing club; GRABASS (Greater Raleigh Area Brewers And Suds Sippers)!
  • Drink beer before noon!
  • Hang out on the deck and listen to music!
  • Avoid overcrowded shopping malls!
PM me and/or Boston if interested and will provide you with the address.

Bonus points to those who bring homebrew.
Bonus points to those who are mediocre musicians.
Bonus points to those who enjoy listening to The Grateful Dead, Bob Dylan, The Band, and other classic rock greats.
Double and Triple bonus points possible!

Don't delay! Act now, and don't miss this once every month or so opportunity!

-walker

I'm in. I don't know how long I'll be able to stay. I've got family in town, but I've got a couple of CDs for Boston and I'd love a chance to sneak away for a bit and have a beer or three.

If we can corral not only Boston & Walker-San but also Professor Frink, Baron von BeeGee, Beerthoven, joebou4860 and some of the other Triangle GRABASS brewers this will be pretty damn cool.

What time are the festivities?

Chad

Cool. I was about to bump this thread since i posted it buzzed in the middle of the night and was sure it had just sank into oblivion.

Boston usually starts pretty early, but I'll let him chime in with an official start time.

I got nothing else to do that day, so I'll probably hang out for most all of the session.

I'd love to come, but I can't. Family is in town, and there is just too much stuff going on to get away. We should try again soon, though. (Holy cow! This is my first post in 6 months.)

Dang, I'd go, but I'll be in Tennessee. I need to start connecting with local homebrewers. Are there ever any bulk malt buys around here?

Dang, I'd go, but I'll be in Tennessee. I need to start connecting with local homebrewers. Are there ever any bulk malt buys around here?

Sure.

Boston and I recently split a 55# sack of 2-row. I've only got about 5 lbs left from my half, so I'll be looking to buy more soon.

We also (one time) did a huge bulk hops order together. Ended up with WAY more hops than I could possible use (primarily because each "pound" of hops we received weighed in closer to 2 pounds.) I actually just recently threw some of that stuff away because they had been sitting in the freezer a couple of years and were no longer good.

So, yeah, we buy bulk every now and then.

KingBrian... I just looked at your profile and was surprised to see that there was a GRABASS group on this forum. I had no idea.

Clearly, this group is not sanctioned. I'll have to beat Evan down with a mash paddle. ;)

Bump.

We've heard from some of the old timers and a couple new folks that can't make it. I was hoping to find a couple of new folks in the area that CAN make it.

Come on.

You know you want to.

I'm down! I prbably can't brew though. I'm working the cask-ale festival at Triangle Brewing company Friday. I'll have to be there around 1, so just let me know what time to show up! I've been wanting to meet some more GRABASSers for a while now. See you Friday!

Well, judging by this:

it looks like posting isn't the only thing you haven't been doing!

Actually, I have been brewing. 15 batches of beer, a mead, and two Apfelweins so far this year, plus and my 4-tap kegerator is in full swing. I just haven't bothered to keep up with my signature.

I'll probably start heating water at about 8 AM. So you can start showing up any time after that. If you have an acoustic guitar, mandolin, harmonica or banjo please bring it.

I'll probably start heating water at about 8 AM. So you can start showing up any time after that. If you have an acoustic guitar, mandolin, harmonica or banjo please bring it.

And don't worry... we're not that good either. :mug:

Should we set up the Randall?

When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna dig myself a hole
Gonna lay down in it 'til
I satisfy my soul
Gonna let the world pass by me
The Archbishop's gonna sanctify me
And if he don't come across
I'm gonna let it roll
When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna stake my claim
I'll guess I'll change my name

Let me re-phrase that.

I have about 3.5 gallons of APA in a keg. If you do not have a randall-able ale on tap at your house, I can bring that keg over.

I'll check my freezer to see if I have any good aroma hops, but I am not certain that I do.

How many ounces of hops does it take to fill that monster up, anyway?

FOLKS DROPPING BY: if we put Randall's Randal in action, you're in for a treat!

I think I should have a 2-liter of carbed apfelwein hanging around (maybe a sweet one, as well) plus some various homebrews. Think that would be a good addition to the festivities?

I'll pass on the Apfelwein, but I'd love to try your homebrews. Somebody bring a camera

So how many people are confirmed coming? I need to know how much beer to bring! (As if it was possible to bring too much)

I think we have 5 folks total at this point. Me, Boston, Chad, you and Barc.

You don't need to bring a ton of beer. Just some to sample and share. If you like hoppy beers, you probably won't want to drink anything except what comes out of the randall anyway. ;)

If we run low, I'll can make the short jaunt home to fetch (or call SWMBO to deliver) my other keg (porter).

Boston: you have any homebrew on tap, or was that Oktoberfest that you killed all that you had brewed up?

Bring over the APA. I've got some Simcoe & Fuggles leaf we can use.

I looked in the freezer. I still have that big ass brick of mystery hops that Dude gave me. It's never been opened and still looks nice and green. I can't really use it in a brew since I have no idea what it is and what it's bittering potential is. I was planning on getting rid of it via dry hopping something, so I'll bring it over Friday.

We can sniff all the baggies and pick whatever smells the most.

Ah, bricks of mystery hops. Sounds like the perfect excuse to brew a Pale Ale and then call it an IPA if it doesn't turn out to be a low AA hop or a Blonde if it turns out to be very low! Just do half oz additions at 60, 30, 15, and 0 and call it good! :) It'll still be beer, guaranteed.

I have nothing on tap. All tapped out.

Yeah, bring the Mystery Hops. If they smell like **** we'll try something else.

Wear your club-sanctioned/officially licensed GRABASS t-shirt..I'll try to find mine.

Have we recruited any new musicians for the GRABASS Kickass Bluegrass Band?

Jeff

I just exchanged some text messages with Baron von BeeGee. Sounds like he'll be able to make it tomorrow morning, too.

:rockin:

Wish I could make it out there or even see the Broadcast. I'm in Western Montana.

If anyone is lurking and on the fence about GRABASS, I suggest you check it out. GRABASS gets the olllllo® seal of approval™.

Webcast is on. Link above...

We keep losing the wireless netqwork, so no guarantees that this will keep working.

Back