BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches Paired with...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crzynate25

Reaction score
So we're having friends in from out of town and I'm making BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Though I'm having trouble finding a nice beer to pair with it. Suggestions on styles or Breweries would be great. They are coming from California and would like to get some local PA or East Coast Beer.

Thanks in advance!

And just for good measure, I do have homebrew but not enough to keep the party going... Guess I need to brew more!

If they have never had it before, Lord Chesterfield's Ale was a surprisingly good find for BBQ last time I was in Virginia. I don't believe they can get any Yuengling out west. Good beer that some out East seem to forget about or take for granted.

For a spicy BBQ, I definitely like something that can stand up to it. Maybe a nice IPA or something. Though some folks would rather have something lighter to clear the spice off their palate like a blonde or something like that.

What kind of sauce is on the pork?

Pork has a delicate flavor, and I would go with light or amber lagers (not pilsner though, too hoppy).

If you are doing some sort of KC or Memphis sauce, then it just tastes like the sauce anyway so then something a bit stronger might be in order and IPAs are good with strong spicy food.

Thanks for the replies! remilard: we are doing 2 types a KC style and a vinegar based spicier sauce. Any one have a favorite beer they like with a good BBQ.

A hoppy Pale Ale or IPA would be great with that. However, I'd also try an american stout...it would probably work great with a smoky bbq sauce.

I posted this on Tastybrew about 3 weeks ago

North Carolina style pulled pork sandwiches with the cabbage slaw on them, then the slaw mixed with avocado as a side and grilled artichokes. Went great with an IPA

I would go pale ale or amber ale with most BBQ although wits and hefs pair real well with smoked/BBQ seafood

I would also go IPA to cut through the spice and smoke. Hop Devil would be my ideal choice. I'm pretty sure you can even find the Hop Devil BBQ Sauce recipe at Victory's website. It's AWESOME.

I'm voting for Pale or IPA, but I think the best thing would be a smoked porter, or Rauchbier.

I disagree with this. I think pairing a smoked beer with smoked meat is a mistake...you overdose on that smokey flavor. I think an IPA or APA is a better pairing, as it gives you a nice contrast to the sweet, rich flavor of the BBQ and sort of clears your palette.

I love spicy food and I love me some IPA. but not together.
I find a less hoppy beer fits my pallet better.

Back