Help with Dunkelweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Maker

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking about making a Dunkelweizen to enter into my first contest. This is the recipe I'm thinking about making. I've never made one before so some pointers would be wonderful.

5 Lb wheat LME
2 Lb Amber LME
1 Lb Crystal 60L
.25Lb Chocolate Wheat

1 oz Hallertauer (60 min)
1 tsp Irish Moss (15 Min)

WLP 300 Heffeweizen Ale
~7 days Primary @ 68F
~14 days Secondary @ 68F

Keg and force carb to 3.0 Volumes

It fits into the 2008 BJCP Style Guidelines according to Beer Smith, but that doesn't mean its going to be good.

I am making a Dunkelwiezen but using a kit. Fermenting like a maniac too :)

I'm confused on that a little too (beersmith).

You plug in random grains to get the gravity and color... add some hops and done.

Sure it fits a few parameters but that doesn't mean it's a true "dunkelweizen" or whatever beer your trying to design.

I don't think it would taste bad but you bring up a question I've had and probably posted about in the last few weeks.

Very true. What I know about wheat beers is limited, that's why I posted the question. Beer Smith will only check the color, gravity, and IBU numbers against the 2008 style guidelines. I was just curious to see what my fellow home brewers had to say about the recipe. I had never actually had a dunkel weizen until last night, so I was just looking for a little help with the recipe. It's already brewed so its a bit of a moot point at the moment. I'll let you know how it turns out though.

Here is my dunkelweizen recipe, its an extract and i havent made it in awhile but everyone loves it.

6.6lbs of wheat LME (2 cans)
10oz crushed chocolate malt(steep 20min)
100z crushed munich 10 malt(steep 20min)
1.5 lb crushed dextrine malt(steep 20min)
1oz vanguard(60 min)
1oz halleratu (5 min)
1 pk safbrew-WB-06

Steep grains 20 min, boil, add vanguards, boil 30, add lme, boil 25, add halleratu. Cool to 70, pitch hydrated yeast.

I don't know if this is technically correct but the LHBS recommended adding 1/2 lb of additional crushed grains so I said sure why not? Dunno what kind they were off the top of my head but it's the highest ABV I've made out of the 7 batches I've made about 7%. Tastes good now but was just bottled and am sure it'll mellow a little in a 2 weeks.

I don't know if this is technically correct but the LHBS recommended adding 1/2 lb of additional crushed grains so I said sure why not? Dunno what kind they were off the top of my head but it's the highest ABV I've made out of the 7 batches I've made about 7%. Tastes good now but was just bottled and am sure it'll mellow a little in a 2 weeks.

Maybe Special B?

Take out the Irish Moss, it's a wheat beer so it SHOULD be cloudy. Also check on what % of wheat your extract is. The style needs to be at least 50% wheat, and wheat extracts usually aren't over 65%. With your current bill you're at 40% wheat assuming you have 65% wheat in your extract. Drop the 1 lbs amber and go all wheat extract.

Maybe Special B?

The label reads....
669 12 Deg L (WTF does that mean?)
CARA-PILS

I know it's a little early but I just popped one open (Dunkelweizen) after only 2 days of being bottled and yes Virginia it's a potent brew. Could use a touch more fizz but it'll come up I'm sure. Maybe I am crazy but I'd swear I can taste the alcohol in it. My guess [(OG-FG*131) + .2] is about 6.8 Abv.
My last hefe was only 4% abv I believe.

Cara-Pils is dextrine malt, should add no noticeable flavor, or color, but helps with body and head retention.

Back