The results are in.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chairman Cheyco

***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I did my first AG batch yesterday and I'm fairly happy with my results. here is the recipe I used, keep in mind it was only a half batch of 3 gallons:
4lb 2-row
1.5lb munich
.25lb dextrin malt
.25lb wheat malt
.25lb crystal 80
1oz black patent
.5oz N. Brewer 60
.25oz Cascade 60
.5oz Cascade 10
.25oz Hallertauer 5

After doughing in the temp settled at 153F and I threw it in the oven for 90 min. I watched the temp the whole time and it never varied from that. I mashed out at 165F and did my batch sparge using the two-bucket LT (thanks for the extra set of hands Sasquatch,) and moved on to the boil. I hit my target of 1.055 pretty much bang on.

Thanks for all the help from this board guys! Soon I'll be getting my first taste of AG HB. :rockin:

congrats cheyco! You'll probably find the malty flavors to be vastly superior to extract. AG puts it all on the hands of the brewer, allowing you to control all aspects of the beer. I dont even know if I'd call boiling extract 'brewing'. Pale malt? Vienna? Munich? Pilsner? 152? 155? 1qt/lb? 2qt/lb? Ohh how difficult choosing can be :)

Good job!

Oh, I can see it now. Cheyco tastes his first AG brew and the flow of 2 row malt going east drys up, lol. I guess I had better stock up.
Don't you just love that cascade? It's like saying "can't get enough of that sugar crisp".

There's a bit of well-meaning snobbery in the brew community. A guy can say he makes his own beer even if he buys kits. Because, well, he didn't buy beer, he bought some other stuff. Now, can he call himself a brewmaster? No. A brewmaster should be able to take raw ingredients, including knowledge of the water, and make great beer from that in any style he's asked to. Most of us fall somewhere in between.

For the number of "unsuccessful" kit-brewers out there, I think there's still something to be said for someone who can take extract, maybe jazz it up some, and come up with beer that is better than what's on tap at the local. And that for me is what this is all about. Will I ever make the world's best beer? No. But I make good enough beer to keep myself well satisfied (and usually pretty tipsy). Gave us this day our daily bread, mofo.

some of my favorite homebrews were extract, not saying it cant be tasty. It just lacks the process that makes brewing unique. The mash is where its at! Extract still has its place, I'm thinking about doing some super high grav 2gal extract batches soon to do experiments with yeast. Anyways, enough with the hi-jack..

The style is an APA. It was one of the three demo recipes that come with the trail version of promash, I scaled it down to 3gal and fiddled around from there. I didn't want something too light or too dark to start with incase my water can't handle the mash pH in an untreated state. Great fun.

So if do a partial mash am I making half a beer or am I half a brewer?

Please don't smite me for this, oh high and mighty All Grain god. If in your divine ways you can find a way to float me a donation, I will happily convert to your AG ways. If not, please lay off the extract brewers.

HurricaneFloyd said:
So if do a partial mash am I making half a beer or am I half a brewer?

Please don't smite me for this, oh high and mighty All Grain god. If in your divine ways you can find a way to float me a donation, I will happily convert to your AG ways. If not, please lay off the extract brewers.

I just talked to him aaand he didnt sound too forgiving. I'd not stand in any fields during a thunder storm if I were you.

Baron von BeeGee said:
So is this baby in the books?

Well it's in my books, not sure what you mean exactly. I'll let you know how it comes along, the primary is a raging, boiling inferno of trub and yeast chunks beneath the krausen, never seen one like this...

Salsgebom said:
AG puts it all on the hands of the brewer, allowing you to control all aspects of the beer. I dont even know if I'd call boiling extract 'brewing'.

... resisting ...
... urge ...
... to ...
... scream ...

There is no place for holier-than-thou on this forum. We treat Mr Beer the same as extract the same as AG.

Making those kinds of comments, howevery innocently, is sure to p1ss someone off.

-walker

As an AG home brewer I would like to say that I don't blame anyone for not advancing past extract. I did a batch today and it took me all of 6 hours to complete. I personally enjoyed the time but it wouldn't be any fun for someone who doesn't have the time, room, or just isn't interested in taking the hobby to the AG level.
As I've said before, Home Brewing is supposed to be fun. If you are enjoying extract brewing then why change?
Just my 2 Cents worth. :mug:

I totally agree, AG is a total PITA, but I've only done one batch and I love every aspect of it. I know I will always make one or two extract recipes because they are good recipes that make good beer. And good beer is what I'm after. It's like judging a piece of music on how hard it is to play. What does that matter? The point of music is to listen to it.

:mug:

Chairman Cheyco said:
I know I will always make one or two extract recipes because they are good recipes that make good beer. And good beer is what I'm after. It's like judging a piece of music on how hard it is to play. What does that matter? The point of music is to listen to it.

That was beautifull *tear* ;)

Imperial Walker said:
... resisting ...
... urge ...
... to ...
... scream ...

There is no place for holier-than-thou on this forum. We treat Mr Beer the same as extract the same as AG.

Making those kinds of comments, howevery innocently, is sure to p1ss someone off.

-walker

Thank you!

Hey waskelton, your avatar reminds me of 2 guys; Sailor from Uncommon Valor, and 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan. Whomever he is, he's rockin' out pretty hard an that cowbell. Who is it really?

Chairman Cheyco said:
Hey waskelton, your avatar reminds me of 2 guys; Sailor from Uncommon Valor, and 'Hacksaw' Jim Duggan. Whomever he is, he's rockin' out pretty hard an that cowbell. Who is it really?

It is Will Ferrel in one of the best ever saturday night live skits ever!

http://homepage.mac.com/kellydean/Music/iMovieTheater34.html

check it out :)

I love the hacksaw reference though.. i guess if you replace the drumstick with a 2x4 you'd be really close
ws

I got a fever.... and the only prescription.... is more COWBELL!

Back