Counterflow chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I just purchased this chiller 9217_1.JPG It has an "aeration" wand, will this be sufficient, or do I still need to drag out ye old air stone?

More details please, where did you get it how is it supposed to work etc.?

SuperiorBrew said:
More details please, where did you get it how is it supposed to work etc.?

I got it off of ebay, and i have no idea how it's supposed to work. It just said it had a copper aerator on it. i probably got hosed again.:(

It looks like its just some holes drilled in a piece of copper tubing on the output end, it should help aerate but not as well as a stone and O2

Counterflow wort chiller. 25' of 3/8" copper inside garden hose. Vynil tubing to fit 3/8" tube. 12" copper aeration tube at fermenter end cools beer from boil to desired temp as it travels from kettle to fermenter infusing oxygen as it enters fermenter. Pictures will be up once i make a few more of these.
chiller_008.jpg

wildwest450 said:
Anyone???????

I think the idea is that as the wort flows down through the straight section of tubing, it generates a vacuum as it passes over the holes. The slight vacuum introduces air bubbles through the holes into the flowing wort. I bet it works.

GNBrews said:
I think the idea is that as the wort flows down through the straight section of tubing, it generates a vacuum as it passes over the holes. The slight vacuum introduces air bubbles through the holes into the flowing wort. I bet it works.

That made me wonder about that wand getting plugged up! This will be part of a new setup, with a 20 gallon aluminum pot\spigot, what are my options for filtering the wort? I don't really want to spend $60 on a hop stopper (not that there not great). This will be a gravity flow system for now.

I suspect that your wort will spray out the holes, picking up some air as it does so. I don't see a LOT of aeration happening though. Not like a stone anyway.

Hi, that is one of my units. Hope its working great for you. What happens is what was said before. The wort passing through pulls a vacuum through the holes & areates the wort. You need to leave it above the wort though. & watch out because it will foam up big time in the fermenter. So if you use a fermenter just big enough you may need to sumberge it towards the end of racking so it doesnt foam out of the fermenter.
The wand is just a little bonus feature that goes with my counterflow chiller. It is nothing fancy but it does kick butt!! Let me know how it works for ya!!
I do have them on my website but not on ebay at the moment.

Hoppy Brewin!!

The holes in the copper tubing act as a venturi. I just built something similar except mine filters the air and doesn't look as nice.

Back