Video! Pouring a Black and Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This topic comes up from time to time, so I thought I'd make a quick video. If you're using widget cans/bottles, pour as soon as you crack the lid, while the beer is still foamy; it makes it far easier to achieve that clean separation. I used my DIY black and tan spoon with the "lift as you pour" method. The same result can be achieved with a bent tablespoon. A "turtle" spoon that fits over the rim of the glass is just as effective and perhaps slightly easier to master.

[YOUTUBE]HhAtTz2wd34[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by a moderator:
LS_Grimmy said:
What happens when you drink it is my question lol
I just happened to have a bit of goodness left in the glass I used for "video practice" when I read this. Here's what it looks like after a few sips:

black_tan_later.jpg

Soulive said:
That is like the best resolution I've ever seen on YouTube. Whats on the bottom though, Harp?
Ha! Leinie's HoneyWeiss! I wanted to use Pilsner Urquell, but I had limited success with it last night (you need a REALLY careful pour...but it can be done). I had a nice amber, but I didn't think the separation would be distinct enough on film. So, I settled for the perfect color/weight beer at a slight compromise to tradition.

It's not such a bad combo.

And I'm getting druck.

Yuri_Rage said:
Ha! Leinie's HoneyWeiss! I wanted to use Pilsner Urquell, but I had limited success with it last night (you need a REALLY careful pour...but it can be done). I had a nice amber, but I didn't think the separation would be distinct enough on film. So, I settled for the perfect color/weight beer at a slight compromise to tradition.

It's not such a bad combo.

And I'm getting druck.

I'm getting druck too. Somethings in the air tonight, or its the full-ish moon. Cheers Nate...

Somday I may be able to get this to work. Everytime I've tried it I just end up with Guiness that tastes like a lager.

I guess I need one of those handy dandy Yuri doo-dads. :D

Nice job!

:off: What format did you on your video. Mine looked nice and clear like that till I uploaded it to YouTube
What software?

SuperiorBrew said:
What format did you on your video. Mine looked nice and clear like that till I uploaded it to YouTube
What software?
I recorded it at 30 FPS in 640x480 resolution with my digital camera (Panasonic Lumix FX07). It was 81.4MB in the native QuickTime format. I converted it to AVI format in Linux with a simple bash script that I wrote using the mplayer encoder. The command line in the script is:
mencoder "$1" -o "${1%.*}".avi -ovc lavc -oac pcm
where $1 is an argument containing the original filename. The resulting file was 6.8MB at the same resolution and framerate. I didn't do any other editing or retouching.

Stong work, Yuri. I tried doing that one night with a pack of Boddington's and a pack of Guiness....I couldn't get it right no matter what.....so everything went down the hatch. I got SO druck that night, and when I woke up I found I had made a hellacious mess in the kitchen.

Looks good, there's definitely some skill involved in pouring those properly. But if you call that a Black and Tan at an Irish bar around here you're liable to get some spit in your beer as well, they consider it a derogatory term. They call it a half and half.

To make up for my previous atrocity of pouring a decent stout on top of a mediocre wheat beer, here's a picture of the classic black and tan I just poured (Murphy's over Bass). I freakin' love my new spoon!

classic_blacktan.jpg

Back