lets see your full Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Second batch, this one is a partial grain Scottish Ale

image-1810233085.jpg

Here is my first ever brew. A dry Irish Stout all grain kit from NB. All went well and I've been enjoying it for about a week now.

DEB1Ferment.jpg

Well two buddy's need to brew so they came over yesterday first Dough in was at 2:35 last boil finished at 11:55 and we knocked out 55gal not a bad day

image.jpg
Trash can fermenter, 3 DemiJohns, 2-6.5 carboys and 5gal bucket all HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY

Very sad. As of yesterday, this is what my Caboy looks like for the first time in quite a while:

Can anyone diagnose my problem? There is no bubbling it seems really thin...

image-3087313693.jpg

BallisticGourd said:
The big one is a club project that's gone buggy, and the little one's full of an oatmeal stout (3rd fill).

Hey man, how do you rack outta that small cask? I am ready to do the d@m4 thing!

How do you sanitize a barrel for fermenting?

The "coolship" is obviously a keg cut in half. What is the purpose of that?

You have quite the interesting brews going. I assume that you are in Alaska with the name Chugaach. Good hobby for winter? Steve

1. Burn some sulfur strips in it, campden tablets, etc. I didn't do anything to mine, I like wild stuff.

2. It's for collecting wild yeast.

3. I'm from AK, but currently in Maine for another 2 years. Wife is in residency. Plan is to move back to AK June 2015 and go pro. (but we'll keep that between us...)

Interesting. The wild yeast thing is all a mystery to me. I know that brewing existed before the existence of yeast or even microscopes was even known. Lambics and other beers use wild yeasts. My only experience with a wild yeast was a batch of Pale Ale that got a nasty "phenolic" taste. I had two carboys from the same brew kettle and only dry hopped one, which got the phenolic taste. It must have gotten infected while dry hopping. Several experts and Papazian.s book diagnosed the problem. The beer was beautiful and perfectly clear but undrinkable.

Brewer's Best American Amber w/ wyeast 1056
6.5 gallon glass carboy, second brew, first beer, and first time in glass

zbeer.JPG

zbeer1.JPG

2013-03-20_06-49-16_820_zps74b58f85.jpg

stout on the left (hit 1.070... should be a fun one)
IPA on the right (1.060ish)

Looks good! I just bottled a chocolate stout and started drinking my Founders' Rye clone. Do you get away with just an airlock for fermenters? I always seem to need to use a tube and bottle and not use an airlock until the secondary (if I need a secondary).
I just acquired a third, 15.5 gallon keg. I already use one for the mashtun and the other for a boil kettle. Does anyone ferment in a keg? I can see cleaning as a problem but there must be a way to clean without a steam jet.

ChugachBrewing said:
40 Gal Berliner Weisse. Open fermentation in a stainless drum. Running out of room around here...

Nice! What's the tubing for? Sampling? I have yet to brave an open fermentation...I guess that would be a good beer to try it with.

Looks good! I just bottled a chocolate stout and started drinking my Founders' Rye clone. Do you get away with just an airlock for fermenters? I always seem to need to use a tube and bottle and not use an airlock until the secondary (if I need a secondary).
I just acquired a third, 15.5 gallon keg. I already use one for the mashtun and the other for a boil kettle. Does anyone ferment in a keg? I can see cleaning as a problem but there must be a way to clean without a steam jet.

for the most part airlocks are fine for me, if i run into an issue where it gets up too high and about to blow, i just put a few drops of fermcap-s in and all is well... the stout almost blew though, that one got super close!

And as for the fermenting in a keg, people do it quite often, just take the spear out and use an orange cap for the lid.

Cleaning, either use a pond pump and hot PBW or oxyclean or soak it in hot water with oxyclean are the 2 i can think of.

Darkness said:
very nice guys and gals. I got all of the ones at my house which is mine and Two Brew Budy's combined. We did 57 gal on this past sat.

we have a problem!!!

That's badass! My goal is to get to this level.

Yesterday's brew was my first all grain and first recipe. It'll hopefully be a honey wheat. :)

image-1259518957.jpg

Yesterdays brew =todays mess!!! First timer.... learning my lessons the hard way. Haha

ForumRunner_20130325_153217.png

American IPA. kegged right after pic was taken, now i have to brew this weekend. empty carboys are unacceptable.

p1070331-59239.jpg

CR-

I ask swmbo how the kids are doing and she replies with pictures like this.

3 of our current lineup.

The youngest. A cream ale birthed on Tuesday.

20130329_140953_Hagrid.jpg

The mail mans kid oatmeal stout.

20130329_141245_Anne.jpg

The oldest, almost 16 months, a sour saison.

20130329_141407_Hagrid.jpg

ColeR said:
American IPA. kegged right after pic was taken, now i have to brew this weekend. empty carboys are unacceptable.

CR-

Yea that car is pretty sweet.

Latest posts

Back