Reece Cup Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogmanx82

Reaction score
I've got my porter

Malt & Fermentables

LB OZ
5 ~ English Pale
4 ~ American Two-row Pale
1 ~ Barley, Flaked
~ 8 American Victory
~ 8 Briess Chocolate 350 L
~ 4 Briess Roasted Barley
Color
22° SRM
Brown to Dark Brown

Hops
Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
boil 60 min 1 Cascade ~ pellet 6.2 » 21.2
boil 30 min 1 Willamette ~ pellet 5.5 » 14.4
Bitterness 35.6 IBU

Yeast Irish Ale (WLP004)
Alcohol
5.3% ABV

Miscellaneous Ingredients
At bottling 2 tsp Chocolate Extract
At bottling 2 tsp Peanut Butter, Liquid Extract

If anyone has played with either of these extracts I'd love to hear about it. They are both Watkins brand, available at Walmart. I did a test on my pumpkin beer and found 2 drops of each in 6 oz was pretty tasty. One drop each was just not noticeable enough. 1 drop per 6 oz should equal 1 TSP in 5 gallons so I'm thinking 2 TSP each added at bottling. I could do the addition in secondary, but i'm thinking about bottling some of the porter unflavored, maybe even half of it.

These extracts are definitely the way to go if you are looking for a Reece Cup taste. Messing with real peanut butter sounds way too much of a pain and often doesn't translate to a peanut butter taste in the beer. I'm doing the cacao nibs in vodka on a milk stout but I can tell that has a much more complex and bitter taste than the chocolate extract which is more like a candy bar.

I think you're right about the extracts for a more candy bar taste, and the recipe looks like a decent base porter. Let us know how it turns out!

I love the sound of this recipe - looks delicious. I think youre on the right track to dose with drops. Too much extract can be a disaster! Please keep us posted on it

Hmmmm I just put this in secondary and I think it's going to be too hoppy and conflict with the peanut butter and chocolate flavors. I'm bottling some milk stout this weekend and it seems much better suited to a Reece Cup flavor. Much less hops, a nice sweet malty base with plenty of rich mouth feel.

I have the recipe for the milk stout on the recipe board here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/chai-vanilla-milk-stout-371744/

My brew buddy has half the 10 gallon batch of milk stout and is adding some vodka soaked in cacao nibs instead of the chai tea so I'll have to grab some of it. Hopefully I can get it done this weekend.

I was just gonna say 35 IBUs for that OG looked high. I keep my Porters at about 26 IBU and the bitterness just offsets the malt.

The Milk Stout sounds really good for this, I love Peanut Butter Cups!

I was just gonna say 35 IBUs for that OG looked high. I keep my Porters at about 26 IBU and the bitterness just offsets the malt.

The Milk Stout sounds really good for this, I love Peanut Butter Cups!

I messed this up a bit on brew day. I should have put the willamette hops in for the full boil and then just 15 minutes on the cascade. I did come out hoppier than intended. Still tasty, just not all that suited for the Reece Cup flavor. The milk stout on the other hand is perfect and is what I should have targeted to start with.

Very cool....I made a Tootsie Roll Porter with real Tootsie Rolls....I love peanut butter cups.....be interested in trying this with the real thing :)

I decided to rename this one Frog Porter because it seems a wee bit hoppy.

Next up, a Reece Cup Milk Stout

Back