3rd brew ever. Summer Saison Belgian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amellors

Reaction score
Just got my 3rd brew ever into the fermenting bucket. It was a mini-mash kit from Austin Homebrew. Was the most difficult brew day so far.
I couldn't keep the mash temp consistent, it kept bouncing between 150 and 160. But for some reason the sparge water I kept on a different burner, kept at a very consistent 170. Very weird.

After the boil was done I have to say the wort was the best tasting of the 3 batches I've done so far. Cannot wait to see what's going to taste like in a couple weeks.

Original gravity came out to be 1.063.
I'll keep this thread posted as it continues.
Wish me luck!

Sounds pretty good, are you going to raise your fermentation temp at all.

Moving it out of the bedroom (which has been my make-shift fermentation chamber during the summer) might make SWMBO a little happier..

I'll have to double check the recommended temps for this brew.. I know these yeasties are happy between 68-78 (at least thats what the bottle says).

As I'm still kind of new to brewing (READ very new). What exactly does raising the temp on do?

I just viewed this thread from a web-browser, and totally realized it didn't end up in the forum I was planning on.

Mods can you please move this thread to an appropriate forum.

I'm really sorry about this mistake.

Saison yeast like to warm. Really, really warm. Like 85F. Fermenting it at a lower temperature means losing some of the yeast esters that create the citrusy flavors in saison.

Wow.. Probably not going to let it get that high, as the yeast I have munching away are only "rated" for between 68-78. So might let it get up to 75 or 76...

Back