Beer Bottle Tiki Torches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davekippen

Reaction score
Found this simple DIY a while ago on Pinterest (dont judge me). Finally got around to making them. Took about 3 minutes! They worked great!

IMAG0898.jpg

My thought progression is exactly how this thread appears.
Ohh nice DIY tiki torches,
Those would make nice Molotovs,
Dang it the wife is going to shoot this idea down.

:drunk:

-G

So did you throw one of those suckers? How did it work? Kidding little joke. I would be worried about the heat cracking the glass or when the fluid gets low combusting the gas? Have you used these all night with out a problem?

Yeah, I used them all night, no problem. Its really the same basic set up as the normal tiki -its a container with a tight hole that a wick goes through. I moved them at one point last night and the bottle was not even a little warm.

Nice! I likes my tiki torches. Probably obvious to everyone, but I don't know that I'd use this with small kids around...case in point:

We have a few tiki torches in the backyard that we light when we have BBQ's. One of our friend's kids kicked a soccer ball which hit a lit tiki torch dead center, breaking the bamboo base and shattering the plastic fuel container. The resulting fireball was quite impressive.

Well then, I have some building to do. That's awesome.

Oh, and, Pintrest? For shame. . .you may submit your man card at the nearest Man Police Headquarters for immediate destruction. . .

Dangit, why can't I make smileys with the HBT app on my iPad? I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or have my razor sharp wit be misinterpreted as insulting. . .

No worries KPS. I fully expected to be harrassed big time. Surprised it took 10 posts before someone flamed me!

at my big camping trip for the year, my brother in laws golden ran after a small chipmunk. His leash caught the tiki torch and the end result was whipping a lit fuel canister about 15 feet across the campsite. Luckily it didnt burn anyone or anything. It was the metal type with the screw on lid so all stayed intact.

If the Beer Bottle Tiki Torches are a bit much for your skill set, or just require entirely too much time and effort, then I have the project for you!

"Beer Can Roach Traps"

Construction is super simple, requires only minutes of your time, and involves drinking beer!

1) Open Beer Can
2) Drink all but about 1" of the beer
3) Place can on floor
4) Go to bed....the "Beer Can Roach Trap" will work its magic while you sleep!

Customer Testimonial: Here in the jungles of Guatemala it is extremely quiet in the wee hours of the night...I awoke one night to hear a vaguely metallic scratching sound. At first, I could not determine the source of the sound -- then I realized -- it was the "Beer Can Roach Trap" working its magic!

Product image attached. Will be taking orders soon!

SDC11978.JPG

Here's something your wives might be more into. My wife has asked me to take on this little project.

http://m.designsponge.com/2009/08/diy-project-eriks-recycled-wine-bottle-torch.html

I built two of these about a month ago. Worked well and look great. Only problem I have is the flame starts off fairly big but shrinks down and eventually goes out. I have tried a small hole in the copper "wick holder" thinking it may have been a vacuum building in the bottle, no luck.

My next thought is the wick is fairly long, I may fill the bottle completely to minimuze the length of the wick. I'll post pics in a few days.

Could always put sand in the bottom of the bottle to reduce the amount of liquid you need to put in there too. Did you let the wick "soak" long enough before initially lighting to wick? Also, if the collar is too tight, it may not let fluid absorb through to the top of the wick efficiently enough to keep the flame going (hence the starting, but then going out.)

Just some thoughts on the potential cause.

Project looks pretty cool actually. I'm sure the wife will like it :)

Back